96 T/A fans dont kick on. Only with AC on. - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

96 T/A fans dont kick on. Only with AC on.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
On The Tree
Trader Rating: 0
Default 96 T/A fans dont kick on. Only with AC on.

My grandmothers (i know kind of funny) 96 T/A has 40,200 miles on it. She bought it new. The fans dont kick on unless I turn the AC on. All 3 fan relays tested good. The fans obviously work since they kick on when the AC is turned on and the temp goes back down to 180-190 like it should. With out the AC on it will go all the way over into the red.

Any ideas?

Last edited by NavyBlue99SS; 06-13-2009 at 12:43 PM.
NavyBlue99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
Trader Rating: 2

How long does it take to go into the red with the A/C off? What kind of driving are you talking about with the A/C off when it goes into the red? Or will that happen just sitting idling with the A/C off?

This may sound like a dumb question, but when the "temp guage" goes towards the red zone.....is the engine actually getting hot? Can you keep your hand on the intake without burning your hand.

A bad "coolant temp sensor" can cause the temp guage to do weird ****, but it doesn't mean the coolant is actually getting hot.

Or...if the temp sensor is bad it can actually get hot and it won't turn the fans on.....and then a cycle starts where the t-stat can't keep up and will slowly start to NOT close fully, then it will stay full open...then you will over heat.

1998 WS6 T/A, AES 390ci fully forged iron block, LS6 intake, LS1 heads, 239/235 .600/.600 114 lsa, 1 7/8" Grot LT's, 3" w/Magnaflow, 4L60E, Strange 12 bolt, Baer brakes, Hotchkis STB, UMI PH Bar, LCA's w/relocation brackets, SFC's, LG G2 Super Springs. Hals FR, Bilsteins RR, 275/315.

427ci stroker died at 173,000 miles...what a great engine that was, built by the late, great - Dave DiLuca...RIP...
-Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well DANCE.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
TECH Resident
Trader Rating: 1

Do you have access to a scanner that can read coolant temperature from the OBDII port? I would do that and confirm that the PCM is seeing a similar temperature to what is showing on the dash gauge. Keep in mind the gauge and the PCM each have their own temp sensor.

97 Formula / My FQuick Garage / North East F-Body Association

"I just come seeking pleasure, I hate the light, I speed at night"
Formula413 is offline   Reply With Quote