General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant flush head of bolt stripped what do you think i should do

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant flush head of bolt stripped what do you think i should do

Hello all I have a 1999 Trans Am I just got done doing motor mounts so I thought I would flush the coolant system, so I drained the radiator and removed the large 17mm hex head bolt on the drivers side but the smaller one above the starter looks like has been rounded out, the bolt is tight and seals fine but I cannot remove it. Is there a lot of coolant remaining on the passanger side if the drivers side has been drained or what should I do to remove the rest, this really ticks me off but with limited room I dont want to start screwing with it and and screw something up. thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Backflush with garden hose teed into the heater hose.

Water will run through clear in minutes.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Best/easiest way to flush and get every drop of old coolant out.
Cold engine.
Remove radiator fill cap.
Remove the t-stat. (2-3 minute job)
Put t-stat housing back on. (1 minute)
Take the entire radiator drain valve (petcock) "off", don't just open it. It'll drain faster with it off and thats what you want. ((Buy a new petcock, sometimes they break when you remove them all the way, they're like $2.00))
Take a hose and stick it in the radiator fill cap, running medium to high.
Start the engine.
Let it run for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is running out the drain CLEAR.
When it does your entire system is clean.
Put the t-stat back in.
Put the drain valve back in. Use the new one, what the hell.
Put half a jug of Dexcool in the radiator. (Or if you live in very cold places, 1 ½ jugs of Dexcool)
Fill the rest with water. (one bottle of water wetter can't hurt, your choice)
**Start it up and let it run and warm up till the t-stat opens once and starts to flow, if the level drops just top it off with coolant/water. Then wait one more time for the t-stat to open and start to flow, if it drops down again top it off again. Do it again if you want to make sure. I always massage the upper and lower hoses while its warming up to help move the air bubble through. Always works like a charm.