General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Florida coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Florida coolant temp

It seems my coolant is getting unusually warm during daily driving. Ambient temps have been in the mid-to-upper 90's. While driving in the city the water temp has been in the 230's and the intake temp has been above 100.

Both fans kicking on before 190*, and the water mixture is 1 bottle Water Wetter, one jug of Dexcool, and the remainder distilled water. Compression is mid 11's.

Should I flush the water again? Radiator clogged? What else can I look at to cool it down a bit?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, my temp has NEVER gone past 185. 160 t-stat and tuned for it. I flushed everything out and have just water and water wetter since anti freeze is pointless down here. The water wetter provides the lubricants for the internals.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
It seems my coolant is getting unusually warm during daily driving. Ambient temps have been in the mid-to-upper 90's. While driving in the city the water temp has been in the 230's and the intake temp has been above 100.

Both fans kicking on before 190*, and the water mixture is 1 bottle Water Wetter, one jug of Dexcool, and the remainder distilled water. Compression is mid 11's.

Should I flush the water again? Radiator clogged? What else can I look at to cool it down a bit?
Do you still have A/C in your car? Is it running hot with the a/c on only....or just all the time?

One thing that F-Body owners really never do is, clean the condensor. And I don't mean Simple Green and rinse with water. I mean taking the radiator out and cleaning all the debris that builds up on the front ofthe condensor over time. Rocks, leaves, grass, bugs, etc.... After about 3-4 years, 50% of the surface can be totally blocked. If it is and you turn the A/C "on" in the summer, you're basically screwed. I clean mine every 2 years or so.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Wow, my temp has NEVER gone past 185. 160 t-stat and tuned for it. I flushed everything out and have just water and water wetter since anti freeze is pointless down here. The water wetter provides the lubricants for the internals.
Same here, I wouldn't allow my coolant to ever run past 200-210 without figuring a way to fix it. My coolant, USING A SCANNER, stays around 185-190, and maybe it'll go up to 210-215 if I'm in heavy traffic with the A/C blasting in 90* weather. 230 to me is just nuts. Even if people say, "its fine". I don't like it and do not agree with GM or anyone else on this matter. Heat kills everything from plastic to metal to bolts to wires to fluids to paint to bushings to rubber.

Cooler is better for everything, always. And I'm not talking about running around at 130* if you could. 185-200 is the best range to be in for a happy engine. And a properly maintained 100% factory cooling system from the condensor to hoses to t-stat to fans is all you need to make that temp happen.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
Do you still have A/C in your car? Is it running hot with the a/c on only....or just all the time?

One thing that F-Body owners really never do is, clean the condensor. And I don't mean Simple Green and rinse with water. I mean taking the radiator out and cleaning all the debris that builds up on the front ofthe condensor over time. Rocks, leaves, grass, bugs, etc.... After about 3-4 years, 50% of the surface can be totally blocked. If it is and you turn the A/C "on" in the summer, you're basically screwed. I clean mine every 2 years or so.
+1 I hosed the **** out of mine wheni had the bumper off. A/C got colder faster.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Here's some pics of mine about 6 months ago.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned

****** bird feathers too....wierd.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I still have A/C in the car, and actually this summer is the first time I've had it operational in a a good 6-7 years. I know I've never cleaned the condenser personally, and I'm not aware of anyone else having done it since it was new. I've had the FTRA for most of its life. I want to say it's worse with the A/C engaged. Never had this problem before the A/C was repaired and I began using it again.

Do I need to drain the water to clean the condenser? How long of an operation is that?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I still have A/C in the car, and actually this summer is the first time I've had it operational in a a good 6-7 years. I know I've never cleaned the condenser personally, and I'm not aware of anyone else having done it since it was new. I've had the FTRA for most of its life. I want to say it's worse with the A/C engaged. Never had this problem before the A/C was repaired and I began using it again.

Do I need to drain the water to clean the condenser? How long of an operation is that?
I have 170k and over heating is not a problem. Flush it and fill with straight water + water wetter, and clean the rad. and condenser to.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by the way anti-freeze raises the boiling point of the coolant.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

It takes a good 2 hours to do. You need to remove the radiator first, which yes, it will result in the loss of alot of coolant.

It will definitely run hotter with the A/C on, that condensor gets HOT, not just warm, but hot. Then that hot air is drawn through the already hot radiator. It can get to point where its a losing battle and then the t-stat will start to NOT fully close on each cycle, then it will end up staying full open and the coolant will just circulate and get hotter and hotter. Fans won't be able to keep up at that point. Thats when things go down hill and you can over heat.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blade2222
by the way anti-freeze raises the boiling point of the coolant.
Alot of people down here just use water.

I use hose water and a half jug of Dexcool, thats it.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run about 75 water with 25 antifreeze and no problems here in south fl.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Those running straight water & water wetter, how many bottles of WW are you using for the system?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

For those that like WaterWetter:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/red...%C2%AE-review/

Pay attention to the last sentence.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
For those that like WaterWetter:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/red...%C2%AE-review/

Pay attention to the last sentence.
Yeah, I used to use WW, but it has absolutely ZERO effect on my car down here in South Florida. My car runs cool (185-195) because the entire system is "healthy". Most people, I'd say 9 out of 10 have dirty condensors and simply need to clean them.

WW is like alot of products out there, just #%^&%#*&.

Couple days ago leaving Lauderdale beach I got stuck on the strip with my A/C "on" in traffic for about 30 minutes, just creeping along, stop and go. It was in the 90-95*F out. Pavement, of my god it had to be 150+*F. Crazy heat just rising right into the condensor. I think I got hotter than I've ever seen before...225*F. The second I started moving it went right down to 190*. When I hit 595 and was doing a steady 70 mph, 185*F all the way home.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
My car runs cool (185-195) because the entire system is "healthy". Most people, I'd say 9 out of 10 have dirty condensors and simply need to clean them.
That's usually the key. Get the crap out of the condenser, make sure you have a clean radiator (and that doesn't mean Prestone flush - take it to the radiator shop and get cleaned.), good thermostat, etc. 99.9% of the overheating problems I see discussed here, not counting the known burping issues, will be fixed by this.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redline's claims for WaterWetter®'s effects on your cooling system:
• Doubles the wetting ability of water
• Improves heat transfer
• Reduces cylinder head temperatures
• May allow more spark advance for increased torque
• Reduces rust, corrosion and electrolysis of all metals
• Provides long term corrosion protection
• Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
• Prevents foaming
• Reduces cavitation corrosion
• Complexes with hard water to reduce scale
WTF ! where's the increase my fuel economy
Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd never trust dex cool, I'm a driver for advance auto parts and I spend alot of time at shops delivering parts and everything, I was at a friends shop and they where working on a 99 blazer that had dex cool in it after 100,000 miles and it ATE THE HEADS. I heard dex cool causes electrolysis thats why I turn people off from dex cool and give them the green coolant instead. I havent had a problem with over heating since I bought the car and yes it did orginally have dex cool in it then I had a friend flush it and put green in and so far everythings fine even in 90 degree weather with the ac on. So yeah you might wanna flush it and see what happens. Check the t stat etc etc.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
That's usually the key. Get the crap out of the condenser, make sure you have a clean radiator (and that doesn't mean Prestone flush - take it to the radiator shop and get cleaned.), good thermostat, etc. 99.9% of the overheating problems I see discussed here, not counting the known burping issues, will be fixed by this.
x2 i agree