General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Camshaft Sensor replacement from dead tach?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Sensor replacement from dead tach?

Here recently, my tachometer would go dead to 0 RPM when I'm accelerating moderately hard in 2nd and then it would catch back up after 5 seconds or so. It threw an SES light and it came back as the camshaft sensor. That code is PO341

Has anyone ever had this problem? Would replacing the sensor necessarily fix my tachometer problem? Most importantly, where is the sensor located and how do I go about replacing it?

Last edited by LS1Fury!; 06-27-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Bump!

I spent the time to replace the sensor this weekend and it seemed to work for a few days but today it started acting up again and now is even worse than before. Took a 45 minute drive today and it was reading 0 about 95% of the time.

Please help! I'm drawing dead on what to do
Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uh oh. I had the same problem. After replacing the sensor twice we found out that the cam had backed out some. Their was a tsb on the 03 or 04 Vettes for the same thing.

Good luck but if you're throwing the same code and your tach is going to 0 it may be the same thing.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

if you have acess to a Tech II you should be able to get a better idea of whats going on
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Uh oh. I had the same problem. After replacing the sensor twice we found out that the cam had backed out some. Their was a tsb on the 03 or 04 Vettes for the same thing.

Good luck but if you're throwing the same code and your tach is going to 0 it may be the same thing.
Wow.... that is really not what I wanted to hear.

Did the car act perfectly fine and run just as hard? I am not loosing any performance, hearing any noises, or having ignition problems....
Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Fury!
Wow.... that is really not what I wanted to hear.

Did the car act perfectly fine and run just as hard? I am not loosing any performance, hearing any noises, or having ignition problems....
For a while. Then it would backfire sometimes when trying to start the car due to the cps being off.

If you're not having ignition problems it may be a signaling issue from the cps to the BCM. Their are troubleshooting steps to check that out but I have no way of posting them. They are pretty long and detailed. If you have the GM manuals for your car, they're in there.

Good luck.