General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SES Light Started Flashing - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SES Light Started Flashing - Please help

Hey guys,

Yesterday i was driving around town and I noticed my car wasn't running right. At an idle or going slow it was fine, but when I hit the throttle it didn't go anywhere near as fast and smoothly as it should have. It almost felt like it was popping/ticking and struggling to accelerate. It didn't bog down or anything, it just struggled.

Today I drove 5 miles and my SES light started flashing. The car still feels very weird. Has anyone had a similar problem?

I need to find somewhere to run the code.. Does Advance Auto parts run codes? I'm guessing any service station can right? Also is there a guide with all codes listed so I can figure out what it is?

Thank you
Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

I just went back outside and started the car, it's on steady now, isn't blinking. But that might just be 'cause it's idle in the driveway.. damn this sucks.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Launching!

You should be able to get it scanned for free at Autozone. Or if you know someone with an OBDII scanner then they should be able to scan it. Here is the list for the DTC codes. Good luck figuring out what's wrong with it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ght-codes.html
Old 06-28-2009, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you sir. Looks like I have to go out and check some wires and the headers area.. I'm gonna head over to advance now. Thanks for the list
Old 06-28-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, when your ses light is flashing it usually means your having random multiple misfires. i had the problem when i first put headers on. when you get it scanned they should be able to tell you which cylinders are misfiring. start with plugs and wires. then check coils. good luck
Old 06-28-2009, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIKEY'S 2002 TA
hi, when your ses light is flashing it usually means your having random multiple misfires. i had the problem when i first put headers on. when you get it scanned they should be able to tell you which cylinders are misfiring. start with plugs and wires. then check coils. good luck
Yeah I actually went outside after my last post and the plug wire was completely disconnected from the #2 coil. Idk how I missed it the first time i looked lol. Everything's fine now and my car is back. False alarm!

Will the SES light eventually turn off, or do I have to get it cleared at a service station?

Thank you guys!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go get it check to make sure it was that cylinder that was a missfire and get it cleared it wont go off my its self unless you reset the ECU (disconnect battery for 5 min)
Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by witry
go get it check to make sure it was that cylinder that was a missfire and get it cleared it wont go off my its self unless you reset the ECU (disconnect battery for 5 min)
I did get it checked. They said it was the #2 cylinder, the spark plug came off of the passengers side front coil so it was right. Advance isn't allowed to clear codes anymore he said. Guess i'll disconnect it.