General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil in coolant..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in coolant..

While driving home from work I got a low coolant light on. I was almost home so I just kept going. When I got home I added more coolant/water and my stepdad was walking by and he saw the coolant resevoir dipstick thing was covered in a red/orange/tan sludge type substance. He said I definatly had oil in the coolant and that he thought it could be a blown head gasket. He said he could also smell gas in the oil that was in the coolant as well.

The car has never overheated, oil pressure/ levels have always been okay.

I'm going to see my mechanic tomorrow to get his opinion and perhaps drop the car off.

Any thoughts or tips on this guys?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't bring it to any mechaincs YET.

Do you have a factory power steering fluid cooler in your upper radiator hose?

This is the power steering fluid cooler. The metal pipe in the hose.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Yes I do have one.

However, the power steering pump was replaced last year and the power steering cooler was bypassed for some reason he saw fit. He told me coolant was getting into the power steering system.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Usasoc
Yes I do have one.

However, the power steering pump was replaced last year and the power steering cooler was bypassed for some reason he saw fit. He told me coolant was getting into the power steering system.
Well, is the cooler still there and the lines are just not connected anymore? Are you sure they're not connected? You can look and see pretty quick.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Well, if you had coolant in your PS system last year than you definitely would have had PS fluid in your coolant. (The PS system is at a higher pressure and you tend to get more PS migrating over to the coolant than the other way around.)

Did you get your coolant flushed at the same time your cooler was bypassed? Maybe what you are seeing is just the leftovers?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

I found out the coolant system was contaminated by powersteering fluid. So they're going to replace all the hoses and flush everything out and whatnot.

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Banned

I found out the coolant system was contaminated by powersteering fluid. So they're going to replace all the hoses and flush everything out and whatnot.

thanks for all the help guys.
No need to replace the hoses. Just flush it. Do it yourslef in 20-30 minutes. When my factory power steering cooler (heater) started leaking, all I did was a good flush and its crystal clear. Same hoses.

Best/easiest way to flush and get every drop of old coolant out.

Cold engine.
Remove radiator fill cap.
Remove the t-stat. (2-3 minute job)
Put t-stat housing back on. (1 minute)
Take the entire radiator drain valve (petcock) "off", don't just open it. It'll drain faster with it off and thats what you want. ((Buy a new petcock, sometimes they break when you remove them all the way, they're like $2.00))
Take a hose and stick it in the radiator fill cap, running medium to high.
Start the engine.
Let it run for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is running out the drain CLEAR.
When it does your entire system is clean.
Put the t-stat back in.
Put the drain valve back in. Use the new one, what the hell.
Put half a jug of Dexcool in the radiator. (Or if you live in very cold places, 1 ½ jugs of Dexcool)
Fill the rest with water. (one bottle of water wetter can't hurt, your choice)
you do not need to use distilled water, clean hose water is just fine

**Start it up and let it run and warm up till the t-stat opens once and starts to flow, if the level drops just top it off with coolant/water. Then wait one more time for the t-stat to open and start to flow, if it drops down again top it off again. Do it again if you want to make sure. I always massage the upper and lower hoses while its warming up to help move the air bubble through. Always works like a charm.

Done.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While driving home from work I got a low coolant light on. I was almost home so I just kept going. When I got home I added more coolant/water and my stepdad was walking by and he saw the coolant resevoir dipstick thing was covered in a red/orange/tan sludge type substance. He said I definatly had oil in the coolant and that he thought it could be a blown head gasket. He said he could also smell gas in the oil that was in the coolant as well.

The car has never overheated, oil pressure/ levels have always been okay.

I'm going to see my mechanic tomorrow to get his opinion and perhaps drop the car off.

Any thoughts or tips on this guys?

Thanks.
Same thing my camaro seems normal run..I just check radiator cap out.There oil lot in radiator.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
No need to replace the hoses. Just flush it. Do it yourslef in 20-30 minutes. When my factory power steering cooler (heater) started leaking, all I did was a good flush and its crystal clear. Same hoses.

Best/easiest way to flush and get every drop of old coolant out.

Cold engine.
Remove radiator fill cap.
Remove the t-stat. (2-3 minute job)
Put t-stat housing back on. (1 minute)
Take the entire radiator drain valve (petcock) "off", don't just open it. It'll drain faster with it off and thats what you want. ((Buy a new petcock, sometimes they break when you remove them all the way, they're like $2.00))
Take a hose and stick it in the radiator fill cap, running medium to high.
Start the engine.
Let it run for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is running out the drain CLEAR.
When it does your entire system is clean.
Put the t-stat back in.
Put the drain valve back in. Use the new one, what the hell.
Put half a jug of Dexcool in the radiator. (Or if you live in very cold places, 1 ½ jugs of Dexcool)
Fill the rest with water. (one bottle of water wetter can't hurt, your choice)
you do not need to use distilled water, clean hose water is just fine

**Start it up and let it run and warm up till the t-stat opens once and starts to flow, if the level drops just top it off with coolant/water. Then wait one more time for the t-stat to open and start to flow, if it drops down again top it off again. Do it again if you want to make sure. I always massage the upper and lower hoses while its warming up to help move the air bubble through. Always works like a charm.

Done.
very well said thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread is 5 years old.

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant..