General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starting Issue

Ok let me start by saying I have checked and rechecked the search for a solution to my problem and have found many posts with the same issue but either no follow up if the problem was solved or how it was solved.

Now the problem. The car will crank perfect 95% of the time. The other 5% it won't do anything. All the lights on the dash come on just like a normal start clutch pushed in turn the key and NOTHING. I mean nothing no clicking, no noise just silence. When this first happened I went to the trusty LS1 tech search and tried a few ideas. Bypassed the VATS, got a new key, unhooked the batt. and held terminals together for a minute to clear computer (which by the way is the only one that seemed to work but only sometimes, may have just been that I unhooked batt. and hooked back up.) The security light does not blink so not thinking VATS. It has a new batt. so not thinking batt. I have seen where some people have replaced the terminal bolts but they don't post back if the issue has gone away for any length of time. Could it be a bad cable? I have seen this addressed but again if they replace it is the problem solved ?

Please any help would be appreciated. It's very upsetting when I only drive the car for the summer and right now I feel like I can't trust it to take it out. I can pop it if it doesn't start but you can't always find a hill to park on.

Sometimes when it does start it sounds a little weird like some arching or something but it's a very brief noise followed quickly by loud exhaust so kind of hard to tell if it is arching or where at batt. or starter. Everything seems tight.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned

ok, check the clutch pedel switch, this is the safety switch that des not let the car start when the clutch is out. it should be right under the clutch pedel on the left side. does the car make a clicking noise when it does not start? it cold be a possible starter solinoid problem, or it could be the starter contacts, sometimes if u try tapping the starter with a peice of metal and it starts it could be the contacts inside are worn and arent lining up at certain times which is not letting electricity flow to the commentator.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car (93z) would do the same thing as yours at first it would only do it once in a blue moon but then it started to do it more offten, i put new termanals on it and it went away for a while. then it came back so i bought a new battery and it still did the same thng so i put a new battery cable going to the starter on it and it fixed everything. i also had the same prob with my old 91z and a battery cable fixed it too. hope this helps
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 AM
Staging Lane

Well I was kind of leaning towards the battery cable myself after reading some of the other threads on here. I just didn't hear until your post that anyone had this solve the problem. If no one has any other ideas it will be a new cable install on Friday. Thanks for your help so far.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Did the new cable fix your problem?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Crank Shaft Position Sensor does all that crap. You won't get a code till it fails totally either.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anything?? i have the same problem???
Old 10-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Staging Lane

im having this problem also? what did you find to solve it? it aggravates me when people find a solution to a problem then dont post their cure when they find it lol.