General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wiring Problem!! Or something!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Problem!! Or something!!

Okay, I have no where else to go (Camaro is doing great BTW). My husband and I bought a 94' Ford Probe SE off of a guy for $300 cuz of a massive fuel leak. Well, $3.00 and 1 hour later that was solved by replacing a fuel hose beneath the fuel filter. However, we found this car has some electrical problems (this kid had no idea). Here it is.... first off, the emer break light and door ajar light stay on at all times!! No matter what positon either is in. Second, when the radio is on all is well until you open the doors, turn on an interior light, open the trunk, even when opening the visor lights the radio will shut off. (This is an after market stereo, original stero no workie). So my husband and I have ripped this car apart trying to find the prob. We've took out fuses, disconnected e-break switch, disconnected door switches, even took out individual light bulbs. We got onto something when we took out the left trunk bulb-the door ajar light went out. But to no avail, everything else is still messed up. Pretty sure we have a short to ground in wiring. We tried to wire the radio straight to the chasis but it still failed. So we have a major prob. Husband is ready to give up on the car and keep as is. I wanna fix this damn thing!!! Any help would be great.... even though it is a ford . Thanks all!!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

youll have to get a wiring diagram and find out what ground those circuits run on. once you find those grounds i would clean the ground contact.surface with a wire brush and reattach.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
youll have to get a wiring diagram and find out what ground those circuits run on. once you find those grounds i would clean the ground contact.surface with a wire brush and reattach.
is it a 4cyl(2.0) or 6cyl(2.5)?? i will check alldata and find out what grounds those circuit share for you.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

We have the diagram.... already did that, but the stupid manual doesn't show ANYTHING about door ajar lights. So it's hard to find the common ground between the three!!! Thanks a bunch though... any other ideas greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it a 4cyl(2.0) or 6cyl(2.5)?? i will check alldata and find out what grounds those circuit share for you.
It's a 4cyl auto. Guess I should've mentioned that. If you can find a better schematic than I have, that would be f@!&ing great!!! Thanks for the assistance!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would check all 3 of these grounds as follows:

G400(lower center of luggage compartment.
G103(LH(front)of vehicle,near fog lamp), if AT trans, LH side of engine.
G105(LH side of engine)

the things that you mentioned share these grounds and as i stated i would completely remove the bolts that attach these grounds and clean the contacts and surface and make sure connections are tight.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would check all 3 of these grounds as follows:

G400(lower center of luggage compartment.
G103(LH(front)of vehicle,near fog lamp), if AT trans, LH side of engine.
G105(LH side of engine)

the things that you mentioned share these grounds and as i stated i would completely remove the bolts that attach these grounds and clean the contacts and surface and make sure connections are tight.
Thanks for the specs... looking through the Haynes Repair Manual now to see if we can find those specific grounds. Get back to ya in a few...
Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beasst8
Thanks for the specs... looking through the Haynes Repair Manual now to see if we can find those specific grounds. Get back to ya in a few...
sounds good
Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay... just looked through what the Haynes Manual claims as a schematic, however, it shows me no grounds to any lighting at all!! I can see the fuses, the live wires and the switches/components they go to, but nothing else. You obviously have a better diagram than I do. Know anyplace on the net I can find one like the one you've got?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay... just looked through what the Haynes Manual claims as a schematic, however, it shows me no grounds to any lighting at all!! I can see the fuses, the live wires and the switches/components they go to, but nothing else. You obviously have a better diagram than I do. Know anyplace on the net I can find one like the one you've got?
nope not unless you have all-data. i gave you the locations, so there is nothing else you need other then that. you may need to open up the loom but that is just normal wire chasing.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Allot. Well look into it and post back any findings.