General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dreaded Window Tint Scratch - Drivers Side

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Dreaded Window Tint Scratch - Drivers Side

As much as I love my pristine 2002 SS, a beautiful day of long driving has caused one problem and you all know what I'm talking about.

It's that dreaded window tint scratch. Why GM did not fix this problem since it first appeared in the early 90's? I've seen it on my '96, you would think it would be resolved by 2002.

Enough ranting, I did a Search and found the part number ( 10257988 ). I will ask your feelings, comments and what did you think about the passenger side as well since it does not get shut as often as the drivers side does. Do the fix there too?

Another question comes to mind. Does GM still stock the factory colored tint today? I just want it to match the passenger side without obsessing over it. If not I'll have to find a reputable, trustworthy window tint dealer in CT.

Can't see the scratch in this pic but it has not affected the actual glass so all is not lost. Factory tint ruined...
Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh man, my tint wasn't factory, but I encountered the same problem recently. Had to have the tint pulled off, and now I'm looking for a shop that can get my rear tint off without ruining the defroster so I can have the whole thing re-tinted to match...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM

That really blows. I've had that happen on my car before. Time to get a re-tint... I wish I could give some advice on how to fix the scratching but I don't know what parts start to wear that cause this problem??
Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

that sucks mine did the same thing on my driver side but its all the way across the top where it meshes with the t top u cant see it when its up are down so i leave it alone
Old 07-06-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

mine was bad enough to the point where it actually scratched the glass and ruined my tint, consider yourself lucky. The felt guide snapped off leaving a sharp metal razor scraping against my glass every time I rolled up the window.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Change All 4 and be done with it, period. IMHO
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Change All 4 and be done with it, period. IMHO
Pretty much sums it up! ^^^

Newbie question for the day: GM still stock these factory reverse window decals? I have become a purist since owning this gorgeous black SS. My friendly GM dealership has closed unfortunately therefore I have to hunt this down. When I retint the drivers side window, I'd like to retain the factory look!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Are you saying the tint is factory? If so then you would be wrong, OEM's do not tint the drivers and passenger side windows EVER. So that would be aftermarket. take it to a tint shop with a light meter and have them check what the tint is on it now. FYI the T-Tops come out to 18% if you want to match the side windows to the tops.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Revo1
Oh man, my tint wasn't factory, but I encountered the same problem recently. Had to have the tint pulled off, and now I'm looking for a shop that can get my rear tint off without ruining the defroster so I can have the whole thing re-tinted to match...
I tint for a living and all we do to save your rear defroster is either use a steamer made for steaming clothes, get the tint hot and it helps peel off with out leaving too much glue behind. Or you can just pull all the tint off, get some industrial strength Windex and a semi rough cleaning pad and just spend some time getting all the glue off. Just take your time and be patient and you can save yourself the money of paying some one else to peel your back glass and know that your defroster isnt getting destroyed.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Are you saying the tint is factory? If so then you would be wrong, OEM's do not tint the drivers and passenger side windows EVER.
This is true, the factory never put tint film on a window.

A non tinted window looks green, factory tint simply takes the green look away.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
This is true, the factory never put tint film on a window.

A non tinted window looks green, factory tint simply takes the green look away.
That green is actually a 3% tint inside the glass to help glare and help the A/C system. But yes no tint film is used by OEM ecspecially on side windows.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I will rest assured with knowing the OEM did not install factory tint at ALL.

I'm also asking about the original stickers GM installed from the factory in my pic above. Can they be re-ordered or a specific decal place I can contact? Personal preference.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
That green is actually a 3% tint inside the glass to help glare and help the A/C system.
Is that why glass coke bottles look green? Glass table tops?
Glass is naturally has a slight green tint to it.

The smoke added is what we know as tint, it takes the green look away, it blocks sunlight, it reduces glare, it reduces load on the ac.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS1Eagle
Ok, I will rest assured with knowing the OEM did not install factory tint at ALL.

I'm also asking about the original stickers GM installed from the factory in my pic above. Can they be re-ordered or a specific decal place I can contact? Personal preference.
Best bet there would most likely be to take it to a local decal or sticker shop and see what they can do. I got a couple here in town that have pulled some magic tricks for me before. BTW get that thing buffed out, you got some pretty good halos going on. I would worry about that before thinking about factory stickers.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

Thats not an f body or year specific set of decals. Do you have a local dealer?
I'd go there.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Backed to the scratched window though. I encountered the same problem on my 2001 T.A. and i hardly scratched through the tint. So without ripping off my door pane and replacing the window fasteners, can I just grind down the two metal pins that are doing the damage? I don't see what their function is.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Their funciton is to press the glass against the rubber weatherstrip firmly...you can its your car but they are there for a reason.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

What will happen if i grind them down flush with the rest of the inside?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

I had JUST got my tint done and as soon as i pull out i put my window down and i hear a screech.. put it back up and theres a chunk of tint missing =(.. I look down and the window bracket thing broke. =( How do you replace those?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's that dreaded window tint scratch. Why GM did not fix this problem since it first appeared in the early 90's? I've seen it on my '96, you would think it would be resolved by 2002.
wtf are you talking about? That tint did not come with your car from the factory.

Quick Reply: Dreaded Window Tint Scratch - Drivers Side