General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Will my a/c work with vac and refill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will my a/c work with vac and refill?

My a/c was apart for like a week and I didn't really understand the system well. Ive heard that opening the system will use up the drier and it wont work anymore.

In the past i had a cracked line for a day or so, i used my harbor freight a/c vacuum, and just filled it and it worked fine.

Will it work or should I not even bother filling it?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

I would just buy a new drier which is like $30 $40 and an orfice tube which is $1.99 and hook it up put it on a vacuum pump and fill it up it should work you'll probably have to put oil in it also
Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
My a/c was apart for like a week and I didn't really understand the system well. Ive heard that opening the system will use up the drier and it wont work anymore.

In the past i had a cracked line for a day or so, i used my harbor freight a/c vacuum, and just filled it and it worked fine.

Will it work or should I not even bother filling it?
My system was totally open for 3 months in November-January. Then I had it open again when a line broke for a couple weeks. Then 1 month ago it blew a rubber hose and it was open for 1 week till I fixed it. Then last week I opened it again to replace some clamps, it was open for 2 days.

Never, any of those times did I vacuum the system down...OR...replace my drier or oriface tube, or anything else, except recharging it and going on my merry way. Each time, and right now for the last week....its ICE COLD.

Also, my Pontiac dealership replaced my compressor 5 years ago. They said they NEVER replace driers or oriface tubes. They also never vacuum systems down unless most of the system is replaced where you truly have a seriously wide OPEN system.

Do whatever you like, it'll work just fine if just recharge it. One 3 oz can of oil and two cans of 134.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
My system was totally open for 3 months in November-January. Then I had it open again when a line broke for a couple weeks. Then 1 month ago it blew a rubber hose and it was open for 1 week till I fixed it. Then last week I opened it again to replace some clamps, it was open for 2 days.

Never, any of those times did I vacuum the system down...OR...replace my drier or oriface tube, or anything else, except recharging it and going on my merry way. Each time, and right now for the last week....its ICE COLD.

Also, my Pontiac dealership replaced my compressor 5 years ago. They said they NEVER replace driers or oriface tubes. They also never vacuum systems down unless most of the system is replaced where you truly have a seriously wide OPEN system.

Do whatever you like, it'll work just fine if just recharge it. One 3 oz can of oil and two cans of 134.
I would instantly be looking for another shop to have my work done at.
At some point, your system will quit working due to moisture in the system freezing up at the end point of the capillary tube.

The CORRECT way to do this is:

1. Fix any known leak points.
2. Replace the drier.
3. Pull a vacuum on the system of at least 29.5" Hg and hold it for at least 4 hours. This allows any moisture in the system to boil off. This is particularly important, as there will be moisture entrained in the oil - and its gotta go. Takes a while for it to migrate out.
4. Sweep the system with a small amount of refrigerant. This will shove any water vapor out of the system.
5. Re-pull your 29.5 inch vacuum.
6. Recharge the system with the CORRECT TYPE and AMOUNT of refrigerant.
7. Enjoy trouble free cold air.

Last edited by fleetmgr; 07-10-2009 at 09:29 AM.