General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any way to tighten the passesnger seat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any way to tighten the passesnger seat?

My passenger seat seems loose, it rattles and visibly shakes when going over large bumps, or especially highway overpasses w/expansion joints.

I looked at it today, and the seat brackets are nice and tight where they bolt to the floor.

It seems like the problem is that the seat is loose where it mounts to the brackets.

Is there a way to tighten it to the brackets? It looks like it riveted on, I don't see a way to tighten it.

Any one else have and fix this problem? I'm thinking this is going to be somewhat common.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

I feel your pain. My car has done it since i got it a year ago.

I think its one of those things Gm Didn't think of when they made the car ride harsh, Because myn bounces around 2.

As for repairing it i dont think there is any way besides replacing it with a aftermarket seat, Unless someone has figured out a way.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Launching!

if i can remember correctly if you remove ur seat and flip it upside-down you will see that four bolts hold the actual sliders onto the seat. this may be ur prob. the bolts are located inside of the slide. i bought a set of 35th anniversary SS seats out of a wrecked SS and when i put em in my car i noticed the passenger seat was leaning (bent bracket) so i just swapped out my old brackets to the new seats by removing these bolts. if this is not the problem and you can see that it is clearly where the pop rivets hold the foot bracket onto the slide drill the old ones out and pop some new ones in. it aint like you cant do that. i still have my old seats with one side with the brackets removed if you need me to i can post up some pics on where these bolts and/or pop rivets are located. hope this helps
Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also feel your pain, few month ago I had a bad rattles on passenger side and I cant find it. One day down the road and I just happent to hold the passenger seat and the rattles stop !!!. But I could not find a way to tight up the bolt, so I spay wd40 and the noise stop.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by antsls1
if i can remember correctly if you remove ur seat and flip it upside-down you will see that four bolts hold the actual sliders onto the seat. this may be ur prob. the bolts are located inside of the slide. i bought a set of 35th anniversary SS seats out of a wrecked SS and when i put em in my car i noticed the passenger seat was leaning (bent bracket) so i just swapped out my old brackets to the new seats by removing these bolts. if this is not the problem and you can see that it is clearly where the pop rivets hold the foot bracket onto the slide drill the old ones out and pop some new ones in. it aint like you cant do that. i still have my old seats with one side with the brackets removed if you need me to i can post up some pics on where these bolts and/or pop rivets are located. hope this helps

Thanks for the info! I'll have to pull the seats and check that out.

In the meantime, if you could post those pics, that would be great. It sounds like I'm not the only who could use the help with this.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

I've noticed the same thing with mine, let us know if/how it works.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine seems to be loose where it folds forward. alot of slop there. anybody know how to tighten that?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Okay I will get some pics off the seat brackets on here tonight or tomorrow I am having to look here on my iPod touch because my fiancée has taken over my laptop so I will get em on here as quick as possible
Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Launching!

okay i finally get to use the laptop. below are some pics of the bracket removed from the seats themselves. this is as you will see them upside-down. i have marked the bolt holes with crayons (i know go figure i could have found something else but whatever). if yo slide the slide front or back you will see the (i think) the 10mm bolts that screw into the seats. tighten these bolts if they are loose. also i marked with the crayon the pop rivets that can be easily replaced with new pop rivets. there are eight pop rivets all together in one seat. if you find the pop rivets to be the problem then you can use a small headed nutt and bolt instead of a pop rivet if u dont have a pop rivet gun. it is hard to explain it in text but if you still cant find the bolts give me a call and i will give step by step. i hope this helps buddy.

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/w...at%20brackets/
Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by puggerton03
mine seems to be loose where it folds forward. alot of slop there. anybody know how to tighten that?
the only way to fix thst pugger is to take the actual cloth or leather off of the seat and replace the joint that is affected. some models are bolted and some are pop riveted. if they are pop riveted i will suggest that u put pop rivets back there but u can put a small pan head bolt/screw in its place. on the other hand good luck finding this piece because everyone is gonna want to sell the whole seat with it if you buy it used. as for that note i will sell you a decent shaped 94 interior for 75 plus shipping if you cant find that part for cheaper.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Launching!

and just an off the subject conversation is there such thing as quahog, RI, i noticed you live in RI and this is a long time bet between a friend and i.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

and just an off the subject conversation is there such thing as quahog, RI, i noticed you live in RI and this is a long time bet between a friend and i.
LOL, no Quahog is fictional. Although Seth McFarland IS from RI, IIRC.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Launching!

well i hope the photos were helpful
Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i hope the photos were helpful
Yeah, thanks. I think I know what you mean with the rivets, I was kinda thinking the same thing myself, about replacing them with nuts and bolts.

I'll have to pull the seat this weekend and check it out.

Thanks again for the tips!