General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaky belt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaky belt?

Hi there, I'm just off right now on vacation so I'm picking away at a few aspects of my car that were long over do, so you may see a few of my posts on here over this "vacation period" (that is - between drinking and party/camping festivities lol).

I have a sound that sounds like a squeaky belt upon cold startup. It is and intermittent squeak and not continual. It goes away immediately when the vehicle starts to warm up (let's say 10 mins or so ? ). A buddy of mine told me that one of my belts looked a little dry, and that one of the idler pullies looked to have a little too much play in it ? He recommended that if I wanted to hold of on doing the belt right now, that I should take a crayon (since it's wax) and simply rub it on the inside of the dry belt. That should take care of the sound for now. No cracks in the belt or anything. Does this make sense to you guys or is he full of ****? Thanks guys.

S
Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

why not spend the money and get the new belt done. do it right don't rig it man. nothing worse than car breaking down on vacation.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

What you say is indeed true. It's just that I'm doing both belts and the a pulley at 100,000km service anyways. I'm only a few thousand km short of doing a bunch of stuff to it so I was just looking for temporary for now to get me past the annoying sound for a little while. Why is this a bad idea? Can I hurt anything by waxing the underside of the belt?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

well thats crazy. i do service when needed. don't go by that because its not 100k miles you can't do this. its needed. Say a car from 87 hasn't had 100k miles. Do you think it needs a belt? Yes, its dry rotted. Get what i am saying?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

i vote replace it belts can make all kinds of noise their not that expensive
Old 07-12-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys I guess that's pretty unanimous Thanks for the input. I may as well do the belt and maybe that pulley? Thanks again.