General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New car new problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New car new problems

Hi all this is my first post so go easy on me. I just picked up a 98 SS and noticed a few things while driving it 600 miles home. If i really get on it I swear the shifter moves over about 6" and I don't remember my 02 being that bad, Im thinking bad motor/transmission mounts? any else it could be?

The other thing I notice is a knocking sound from the rear end when you hit the dots in the road. I checked and didn't find anything loose in the rear suspension linkage, and the shocks are not leaking and don't feel bad, anyone know what it could be?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camaropilot
Hi all this is my first post so go easy on me. I just picked up a 98 SS and noticed a few things while driving it 600 miles home. If i really get on it I swear the shifter moves over about 6" and I don't remember my 02 being that bad, Im thinking bad motor/transmission mounts? any else it could be?
Sounds like a bad tranny mount.

Originally Posted by camaropilot
The other thing I notice is a knocking sound from the rear end when you hit the dots in the road. I checked and didn't find anything loose in the rear suspension linkage, and the shocks are not leaking and don't feel bad, anyone know what it could be?
Maybe something rattling around loose in the back, like something the previous owner forgot to remove?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through every thing and found that the spare tire and tools were loose so I fixed that but the sound is still there, sounds like its mostly coming from the driver side.