Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 2
Default any way to get a key made by VIN w/o paying $40 at chevy? (99 malibu non VATS key)

i've got a DD 99 malibu that we got several years ago and it never came with a factory key but rather came with 3 copies. none of these copies is a perfect match for the car for some reason. you have to insert the key and then remove it slightly to get the ignition to unlock. i think maybe this is because of the type of key the copies are. i went to the dealer thinking i could just get an oem key blank and copy one of the copies and that would fix it but the dealer suggested having a new key cut by the VIN. only problem is that costs about $40 ($30 to get the code from the VIN and $10 to make the key) i don't know if the problem is worth $40. is there any way to get this done cheaper than at the stealership? I can get 2 new GM key blanks from ebay for $8 but i don't know if copying one of the duplicates onto one of those original key blanks will fix it. i thought it would but the dealer is saying it most likely needs to have a key cut from the vin.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Mods: MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, NGK plugs, K&N filter, 17" corvette GS replicas, Ram Air and OEM WS6 hood, 3.42 gears
1995blacktattop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 33
Send a message via AIM to Scoggin Dickey Send a message via Yahoo to Scoggin Dickey

Go to a dealer that doesn't charge $30 to get the code. Most do it free and just charge you for the key. $10-$15.

He is right, do it by code. If you make a copy, you'll be copying a bad copy and end up with another bad key.

800-456-0211 ext 358 / PM /E-mail Facebook AIM or Yahoo: JSSDPC
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, Yella Terra, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice
Scoggin Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
TECH Junkie
1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey View Post
Go to a dealer that doesn't charge $30 to get the code. Most do it free and just charge you for the key. $10-$15.

He is right, do it by code. If you make a copy, you'll be copying a bad copy and end up with another bad key.
yeah i think i went to a bad dealer. when my dad's 04 impala's BCM went bad at a shop near that dealer the shop told us to take it to the pontiac dealer and not that chevy dealer. i should have just gone to the pontiac dealer instead but i figured only the chevy dealer would have chevy logo'd keys.

I just called the pontiac dealer and they also want $40. $30 to get the code and $9.20 for the key. i could see spending the $10 but $40 is a bit steep. he said those malibu's are known for having issues with the ignition and that if the key works ok in the door, which it does, that it might just be the ignition cylinder acting up. but it's been doing it since the car was about 4 years old so i think it might have more to do with the keys being copies. i wonder if the car was reposessed at some point and thats why all the keys are copies.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Mods: MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, NGK plugs, K&N filter, 17" corvette GS replicas, Ram Air and OEM WS6 hood, 3.42 gears

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 07-15-2009 at 12:33 PM..
1995blacktattop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
99, chevy, copy, cost, cut, dealer, gm, key, made, make, malibu, pontiac, vat, vats, vin