General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car dies during coolant refill

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Car dies during coolant refill

so i just spent the better part of my day replacing the opti. I filled the coolant reservoir and the radiator and started the engine with the radiator open and the bleeder valve open.

Then after about 20 min of bleeding, the bubbles grew a bit more violent, the temp gauge said about 235 ish and it wasnt too hot so I let it go some more. If it got too hot I would have shut it and let it cool

THEN the car starts revving a bit by itself and the revs were movin a bit so I shut it off. Now it wont start. It cranks and cranks but wont start.

What happened?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

The cap was off the whole time? I usually put the cap on once it starts to overflow/boil, if there is no pressure in the system it will just boil over.

When you were bleeding, did you get the opti wet? Coil wire tight? Coil itself wet?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I looked ant it doesnt look like it got wet. Maybe a stray drop or two here and there but not wet really.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

This is ridiculous. I just started it up again (during the daytime) and it did the same thing. But now most of the system was bled so I had the rad cap closed and the bleeder closed to see what would happen. Less than 10 min after it starts the same thing happens. Revs get all jumpy and then it died by it self. My coil is new, icm is relatively new, plugs and wires are somewhat new, but they all worked fine with the old opti.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a few ideas:

Is it overheating due to stuck thermostat or fans not coming on?

Ignition module is sensitive to heat. Check for spark right after it craps out.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

O I forgot to mention, the second time I ran it as described by the just above post, it didnt overheat. It wasnt even over 180 deg. The fans didnt have a chance to start on the second try i guess.