General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The New Seafoam??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The New Seafoam??

So a buddy of mine a master mechanic at a dodge dealership told me about some stuff called mopar combustion chamber cleaner. He is telling me that its wayyyy better then seafoam. I have no idea I have never used seafoam before but my ta has 80k miles and I want to see how it does. Reading the label and talking to him it seams really easy. Just gotta spray it into your throttle body is all. And for those of you that are worried about seafoam because your suppose to stall your engine with this stuff you do not but you have to have a buddy to help maintain your rpm's is all. soo ill keep yall posted as to how well it work. the can was only seven bucks at a dodge dealership at the parts counter. They also have a fuel additive.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

GM makes the same stuff. I believe its called GM Top End Cleaner.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mopar stuff has been around a very long time. Its easily 10 times better than Sea Foam for a top end cleaner

I have been using Sea Foam in my gas tank every 3-4 months for 11+ years and my fuel system is great.

But there is also Mopar gas additive:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEAN...ayphotohosting

Below are pics on how to spray the Mopar CCC into the top end. You don't mess with the brake booster hose, thats just ridiculous and they can snap off and then you're screwed. Just use the intake port and a 1.5 foot long 3/8" heater hose.

Also....you DO NOT need to keep the rpm's up while you're spraying it in, that wastes the Mopar fluid because you will just run it through the engine too fast. JUST, let it idle. Then have a friend simply turn the key off when you feel/see the Mopar can start to run empty. Then let it sit for at least 30 minutes. The Mopar foam will expand and cover every inch of the top end, it might even squeeze out the TB a little bit. The longer the better, even overnight. Thats it, start it up and let it idle, wait for the smoke to start coming out the tail pipes. Then give it constant SMALL revs up to about 1,800 rpm and back down. If by giving it those little revs produces alot of smoke....keep doing it till it stops. If it doesn't produce alot of smoke, then just let it idle for 5-10 minutes....then go for a drive. Get on it a little bit, nothing crazy for the first 5 minutes. Then have at it!

Oh, and it will also work better if you spray it in AFTER the engine is already hot.

Attached Thumbnails The New Seafoam??-dsc01829.jpg   The New Seafoam??-dsc01707.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 07-29-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Mopar stuff has been around a very long time. Its easily 10 times better than Sea Foam for a top end cleaner
Well, I think its a little like saying "My baby is cuter than yours." or "My oil is better than yours." I can guarantee that neither cleaner is really significantly "better" than another.

They are all essentially the same thing -> Naptha (a really good solvent) mixed with other (in some cases, exotic) hydrocarbon-based solvents. (It probably just depends on what other surplus toxic substances these guys have in their refineries, as to what they put in their "cleaner." The driveway asphalt sealer racket works the same way.)

I used the Motorvac treatment with incredible results. No doubt any of the other options would have removed the same carbon from my engine with similar performance.

You can look at the ingredients from the various MSDS sheets:

MOPAR:
Mineral Sprits
Isopropyl Alcohol
Naptha
Ethyl Benzene

GM:
2-Butoxyethanol
Naptha
4-methyl-2-pentanol (aka:methyl isobutyl carbinol)
9-octadecendic acid

Seafoam:
Naptha
Isopropyl Alcohol

Motorvac Carbon Clean:
Naptha
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene
2-Butoxyethanol
(Mystery ingredient withheld as a trade secret)
Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Teching In

yeah it says how to use it all I had my motor nice and hot but def blew alot of smoke it was kinda funny looking at all the people watching smoking billow out of my car as i drove by heh. But it worked rather well cleaned up my idle and all!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Teching In

yeah but price wise getting the cleaner over seafoam was pretty much the same maybe like a dollar more for the better stuff
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
Well, I think its a little like saying "My baby is cuter than yours." or "My oil is better than yours." I can guarantee that neither cleaner is really significantly "better" than another.
I did 3 Sea Foams, the entire can each time...in about a 2 week period. Then I did the Mopar and it smoked more than all the 3 Sea Foams combined. So....its at least 3 times better, hows that?

They are all essentially the same thing -> Naptha (a really good solvent) mixed with other (in some cases, exotic) hydrocarbon-based solvents. (It probably just depends on what other surplus toxic substances these guys have in their refineries, as to what they put in their "cleaner." The driveway asphalt sealer racket works the same way.)
Wrong.
Sea Foam liquid is absolutely NOTHING like MCCC. I don't care about the ingredients. What matters is that the MCCC is a true FOAM that actually expands while its sitting int there, unlike liquid Sea Foam that really just pools in the rear of the intake where it goes through the brake booster line and only gets sucked up by the back 2-3 runners only...and it does not get into all 8 cylinders, just a couple of them in the rear.

Mopar is the only company that does it properly, its a FOAM that expands. Its the ONLY possible way that the entire top end gets touched by the cleaner. Liquids are a joke and WILL NOT do the complete job, not even close.

Maybe there's others that are also FOAMs, if not, there a waste of time. Unless you just want to clean your brake booster line, and a couple of rear cylinders.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-29-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Save the manuals!

I don't care about the ingredients. What matters is that the MCCC is a true FOAM that actually expands while its sitting in there
I think that was my point. The ingredients are not going to be that big of a deal. The additional stuff may take care of some rare type of specific varnish in the engines, which is likely not the source of most problems.

Delivery of the chemicals is definitely key consideration. The GM TEC and the MotorVac treatments require special tools that circulate the pure chemicals in the engine to be fully effective.

The tool-based treatments will end up being more expensive, but they flush through the system quickly and are convenient if you don't have a place to work on your car. With the MotorVac treatment, I was in-and-out of a shop in less than an hour.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Check out my thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...o-results.html

I would much rather use MCCC over seafoam because I have a tough time pouring LIQUID into my combustion chamber. Something inside my head just tells me that's not a smart thing to do

I did this a couple weeks ago and pulled the intake yesterday to take a look at the results:

That's bare metal you see inside the chamber walls there. Needless to say it did a very good job. Injection thru the pcv intake port also allowed for a complete distribution of the foam. The intake runners were also 98% free of oil.

Also, Mopar makes a fuel system cleaner as well PART# 5183546AA. I would use this in your gas tank over seafoam as well.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

where can you get this? order offline, or will NAPA, Autozone etc. have it?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djfury05
where can you get this? order offline, or will NAPA, Autozone etc. have it?
X2. I need to do it and I loved seafoam but maybe this stuff is WAY better.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

You need to get it from a dealership or possibly online somewhere.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just called a Dodge dealership and will pick some up on Monday after I get paid, I'm excited haha
Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Yeah all I did was walk into a dealership to the part department and asked them for it. Some of the mechanics had hide it though so I had to call my friend for the part number its only like 7 bucks seriously way better not sure why everyone is always using seafoam.
I didnt spray it through the pcv line though it said to just spray right into the throttle body so I just did that.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Would this help with my high Nox emmisions?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Well im not sure man I havent been able to pass smog either cause I had a high nox and co so i changed the plugs out and used the mccc on my car and then I had a buddy hook up with hptuners yesterday and found out that the previous owner had my car tuned. I never knew. I had like 42 degree's of timing vs 22 for stock so he saved my old setting and put me back to stock so im hoping that would help too. my car is so slow now though lol
Old 07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vr4rhoads
Well im not sure man I havent been able to pass smog either cause I had a high nox and co so i changed the plugs out and used the mccc on my car and then I had a buddy hook up with hptuners yesterday and found out that the previous owner had my car tuned. I never knew. I had like 42 degree's of timing vs 22 for stock so he saved my old setting and put me back to stock so im hoping that would help too. my car is so slow now though lol
42 degrees of timing?????

You sure he read that right?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vr4rhoads
42...holy ****....

Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

42...holy ****....

Must have been sprayin a 300 shot or something
Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1Fury!
Must have been sprayin a 300 shot or something
But when you spray you need much less timing.