General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

head gasket leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default head gasket leak?

i have the common "gunk" under the oil cap issue. today i noticed the car was running about 220 which is definitely not good. it happened two weeks ago and turned out that i needed to fill the water bottle. so i did.

today after it got hot i checked things under the hood. car was a qt low. so i pull the cap off and there is an extensive amount of gunk under it. not to mention also checking my water bottle. it was bone dry.

my assumption is i have a head gasket leak. although there is no water in the oil. and it doesnt seem to be putting white smoke out of the exhaust. unless the leak is so minimal that its not noticeable. after filling the bottle the temp didnt go over 215. but still running hotter than normal.

the car has been rough at idle on start up lately even actually driving at speed and 200* temperature it feels like its a bit rough.

just trying to confirm my suspicions that its a head gasket before i tear her down tomorrow
Old 07-30-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run a leakdown test on the cooling system.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

While the car is running squeeze the hose,see if there is pressure. I had a similar problem and it was my rad cap. New rad cap,problem solved..
Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you mean by "gunk"? Does it look like a milkshake or melted cheese or something along those lines? If so, you definitely have coolant leaking into the oil.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
what do you mean by "gunk"? Does it look like a milkshake or melted cheese or something along those lines? If so, you definitely have coolant leaking into the oil.
by gunk, yea its a thick yellow milky kinda stuff.

ran a prssue tester on the system today, from 18 psi it dropped to 16. looks like im pulling the heads tomorrow. all 8 plugs also were WHITE
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
by gunk, yea its a thick yellow milky kinda stuff.

ran a prssue tester on the system today, from 18 psi it dropped to 16. looks like im pulling the heads tomorrow. all 8 plugs also were WHITE
That thick yellow milky crap is emulsified oil.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

while i daily drive the car, could that emulsified oil have just accumulated on my drive to work over the past 1 1/2 months? (last time i checked under the cap) i only drive about 5 miles. so could it just be condensation?

the attempted the pressure tester again today, and it didnt drop at all this time. re-peated this process twice. going to throw new plugs in, top it off. change the radiator cap. (the gasket looks well used) and drive it today to see how she does.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
while i daily drive the car, could that emulsified oil have just accumulated on my drive to work over the past 1 1/2 months? (last time i checked under the cap) i only drive about 5 miles. so could it just be condensation?
No...oil won't evaporate/condense at the temperatures an engine operates at. You've got a bad head gasket.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Get it taken care of before it weaks havoc on your engine internals. Coolant is really bad to have in the oil.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

at this point. i may just let it eat. i dont feel like messing with the top end of the motor. at least not today or this weekend. i may feel like it next week.

drove the car around today for 3 hours doing what i stated above. it reached 215 once never went any further and dropped back down. i may be ok at least for the week. since it will be raining ill more than likely be driving the truck anyhow.

thanks for everyones input.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Coolant in your oil is going to kill your engine internals. At the very least, if you must drive on it (bad idea), run only water for coolant and change your oil often.