General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

low oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil

Well for the last few weeks my car has felt sick when i drove it. This week the low oil light came on and i checked the oil. It was two quarts low. So i added some oil and took it out for a spin. The car felt alive again, just like i bought it. What i was wanting to know is do you think that it could have done some damage, or if it did would i feel it. Next month im puting new heads and cam on the car, so would there be anything in specific i should look at.
thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2 qrts low is no big, unless you were really driving it hard and making alot of turns and sucked up some air briefly. If your oil pressure is as its always been, your just fine.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
2 qrts low is no big, unless you were really driving it hard and making alot of turns and sucked up some air briefly. If your oil pressure is as its always been, your just fine.

yea i figured it would be fine, but im going to have the motor out and just in case i was wondering if ther was anything that would need to be changed on the bottom end.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by franksaltz28
yea i figured it would be fine, but im going to have the motor out and just in case i was wondering if ther was anything that would need to be changed on the bottom end.
I don't think there's anything to change unless you knew something was messed up. If you did mess anything up by running low on oil it would probably be the main bearings....only way to check those is an "almost" complete engine tear down.

When you take the heads off you'll see how dirty the pistons are if you've been burning excessive oil. You'll just clean them up if they are dirty. If you've had bad valve seals they're probably nasty.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

ok cool thanks for the help
Old 08-07-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just letting you know you dont have to pull an engine to do a H/C swap.. lot of unnecessary work..

also, i would look into getting a catch can.. cheap and can do WONDERS for your engine..