General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C experts, freon/ oil question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C experts, freon/ oil question

when freon excapes through a leak in the a/c system, does the oil leave with it? I've been told the oil stays in the compressor but I'll also heard conflicting arguments. Can anybody clear this up?

I had to replace a condenser and now I'm wondering if I have to add oil.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMC5
when freon excapes through a leak in the a/c system, does the oil leave with it? I've been told the oil stays in the compressor but I'll also heard conflicting arguments. Can anybody clear this up?

I had to replace a condenser and now I'm wondering if I have to add oil.
No expert, but:

Yes, it flows through the entire system. Add a 3oz can with the 134 and you'll be good.

Last edited by LS6427; 08-08-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Resident

oil is all through system. kinda like all the oil doesn't go back to oil pan. its all through the motor.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

well here's how it went down. The 134 leaked out...........I refilled it plus I added a 4oz can of oil................it leaked out again so I changed out the condenser, didn't add any oil. I should probably be fine.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

well here's how it went down. The 134 leaked out...........I refilled it plus I added a 4oz can of oil................it leaked out again so I changed out the condenser, didn't add any oil. I should probably be fine.
Put a 3 oz can of oil in to be sure, its ok to have a little bit more oil. A little extra oil is better than a little less.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're right, I should probably do that.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

its iffy on oil man.....to much oil doesn't allow compressor to work right and to less can lock it up. its your call. if its working now i wouldn't touch it. my .02
Old 08-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Choppers
its iffy on oil man.....to much oil doesn't allow compressor to work right and to less can lock it up. its your call. if its working now i wouldn't touch it. my .02
I would just think if it leaked out slowly over a period of time, then he totally opened it up and replced the condensor, thats a pretty substantial loss of oil. 3 oz won't hurt anything.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

wait a minute! I vacuumed the system before the last time I charged it, does that remove the oil?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Banned

wait a minute! I vacuumed the system before the last time I charged it, does that remove the oil?
If you're system was as open as it was...and you vacuumed it down...you need to put oil in there. At least a 3 oz can.

Put in one can of 134 that also has oil in it, then put the 3 oz can of oil in, then the second can of 134 with oil in it.

You should be just fine that way. I've done it like this 3 times in the last year and its fine each time.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I should probably mention this is for my grand prix. When I recharged the system I put 36 oz of r134a in it. The system requires 39 oz. It is blowing super cold air on the passenger side but the drivers side is about 5-10 degrees warmer. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the climate control or if I'm undercharged. I checked for leaks and there are none, also the manifold gauges indicated that pressures are good on the high/ low sides and static pressure is about 80 psi on a 75 degree day.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Banned

I should probably mention this is for my grand prix. When I recharged the system I put 36 oz of r134a in it. The system requires 39 oz. It is blowing super cold air on the passenger side but the drivers side is about 5-10 degrees warmer. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the climate control or if I'm undercharged. I checked for leaks and there are none, also the manifold gauges indicated that pressures are good on the high/ low sides and static pressure is about 80 psi on a 75 degree day.
Just find out what amount of oil is supposed to be in that system. You don't want to slowly burn up your compressor.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

The fact that air is warmer on one side than the other only tells you that something is up with the ductwork in the car. Use the colder temp for your reference.

Static pressure only tells you that it was about 75 degrees ambient temp. See the pressure/temperature charts for R-134a. Here is a good one: http://highperformancehvac.com/HVAC-...ure-chart.html

Refrigerant temperature will always indicate it's pressure, and vice versa. This assumes that there are no other gases or air present in the system. If you see something other than what a chart like this shows, per Boyle's law of partial pressure, you can then assume that you have air/non-condensible gases in the system. This would be sufficient reason to evacuate the system, as any other gases present can raise the high side pressures enough to cause the compressor to trip off on high pressure.

To diagnose any A/C or refrigeration system, never use what you see in a static condition as a guide.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
The fact that air is warmer on one side than the other only tells you that something is up with the ductwork in the car. Use the colder temp for your reference.

Static pressure only tells you that it was about 75 degrees ambient temp. See the pressure/temperature charts for R-134a. Here is a good one: http://highperformancehvac.com/HVAC-...ure-chart.html

Refrigerant temperature will always indicate it's pressure, and vice versa. This assumes that there are no other gases or air present in the system. If you see something other than what a chart like this shows, per Boyle's law of partial pressure, you can then assume that you have air/non-condensible gases in the system. This would be sufficient reason to evacuate the system, as any other gases present can raise the high side pressures enough to cause the compressor to trip off on high pressure.

To diagnose any A/C or refrigeration system, never use what you see in a static condition as a guide.

well, I found my a/c compressor was leaking.

Fleetmgr: FYI, the difference in temperature does not necessarily mean a duct issue. I could and does, in my case, mean the system is undercharged.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

That makes no sense, as you have only one evaporator and all the air goes through it.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

well, I found my a/c compressor was leaking.

Fleetmgr: FYI, the difference in temperature does not necessarily mean a duct issue. I could and does, in my case, mean the system is undercharged.
I have seen on numerous vehicles where a freon under charge will actually cause the drivers side to be noticably warmer, also coincedentally, mostly on GM's, I know theoretically it dosent necessarily make sense but I have seen it.

To answer your question yes the oil leaks out with the freon, BUT not much, that is why when you find the leak you will notice it is oil and is collecting dirt, that is the purpose of dye oil, because it will show where the leak is. The 4 ounces you put in was actually probably too much, your total system oil charge is probably only 6-8 ounces, you need to only add about probably 2 ounces for a condenser replacement. I wouldnt worry too much but over charging oil will affect how well the freon can exchange heat ( cool the air )

If you are at a full charge on freon now and have sufficient cooling dont worry about the oil charge, besides the only way to fix it is to flush the evap core and condenser, replace the drier and empty the compressor then start over with your oil charge.

Quick Reply: A/C experts, freon/ oil question