General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant flush without engine running

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant flush without engine running

Hi guys,

I am trying to flush out all the dexcool coolant before I put on my brand new radiotor.

Its a 02 LS1. Most of the coolant is out whike taking the engine out.

I would like to get all or most of the dexcool out.

My dilema is How can I get all if not most of the coolant out of the block. I can crank the block with the starter but cannot run it yet.

I also have all the radiator and heater hoses off.

It would be great if somebody could point me in the right direction

Thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

I would say just connect all of the hoses together and get an adapter to put a garden hose on it. Make sure to put a ball valve on and a press gage so you don't blow any hoses or the heater core. Don't go over 20 - 25 PSI. I flushed many Dexcool vehicles this way when I worked at a Chevy dealer per the factories instructions.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Remove the thermostat and just run a low pressure garden hose and rinse everything out for like 15 minutes. Worked for me!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind you're going to get a lot of contaminated water that way. You need to find a way to contain it all because it's quite hazardous.

Whatever you do, try to get the hose relatively sealed to the block or to your radiator hose so you don't have water being wasted that way.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My stepfather has this Wet/Dry vacuum. The plastic hose jams into one of the radiator hoses and you can then put the garden hose into the other radiato hose to keep water going in. Take the t-stat out and do it that way. It'll get totally clean in a couple minutes.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I couldnt get the thermostat free from its housing. Is it all one piece or can I seperate it ?? See what I found. This is just the dexcool stuff in the car without it running for maybe 18 mos.

I used one of the heater hose outlets instead. I hooked a low psi garden hose to the upper rad hose and flused it out the heater outlet. I routed the other end of the heater hose to a bucket. It got clean pretty quick. My concern is with the engine not running and the waterpump not circulating, the flush didnt go thru the whole block.

Is there a workaround to circulate the water throught the block and not just the water pump housing ?? ya I am broke and I dont have money for a elec water pump
Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have to just push down on those two wings of the t-stat that are hooked into the two towers on the t-stat housing....then push down and twist. It will come free from the housing mounts.

You should hook up the heater hoses, hook up the t-stat housing "without" the t-stat ion there, blast water into the upper radiator hose (seal the hose somehow around the hose end), let the water escape through the lower radiator hose coming off the t-stat housing.

This way the water will go through the entire block and heads and heater core too.

Quick Reply: Coolant flush without engine running