General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PITA Idle problem & Oil Pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PITA Idle problem & Oil Pressure problem

I think it may be related to a vacume line, but haven't dug into it to check it out yet. I also think I'll be buying an oil pump soon. I wanted to get some thoughts before I got my hands dirty.

2001 Formula H/C/I/E car. It has worked great since the dynotune in 04'. I don't drive it much theses days. (CTS-V Beater car. ) The car starts up fine, and runs fine for about 20-30 minutes. Then at red light/idle, I see a sweeping idle from around 1.3k, down to 800...just back....and forth. It is worse when the heat is out; by that I mean it will happen much sooner than 20-30 minutes.

Also, my Oil pressure gauge is showing above 35-40PSI, but is kind of violently going back/forth between those two points at idle. Not up and down...just random...35,38,36,35,40 for example...really fast. When I'm driving, it is steady and normal. Is it time for a new oil pump?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do the basics. You could have a vacuum leak after it gets hot and rubber and plastic parts get pliable, then the leak can start.

Clean the MAF, check plugs, fuel filter, injector cleaner, maybe 02 sensor(s) are failing not switching properly, etc....

The oil pressure is great, I wouldn't mess with anything there. Needles jump and vibrate around alot.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to add, 93K miles on the odometer. After reading your post and thinking, I should probably do a tune-up. It's been a while.

Vacume Leak...checking, I really think that's what it is.
Check and clean the MAF...checking
Plugs...checking...need to probably change these...4+ years
Fuel Filter 4 years old, 40K Miles
Fuel Injectors...I've been putting off checking/changing these.
Injector Cleaner....never used it.
02 Sensors...have fronts, back's are non-existent..will check. I think you can do these by voltage right?

Thanks for the input, any one else wanna add to the list?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got back from inside showing someone the Formula. (Firebird Friday) I heard a hissing noise that stayed constant 5-8 seconds after shutting the car off. Time for the Haynes manual...vacume system check!