General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Removing Fog Light Housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing Fog Light Housing

Just got brand new halos for my SS, and now i want to buy brand new stock replacement fogs so that the light down there is just as clear as up top, how hard is it to change these things out?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not hard at all. When you are underneath the front of the car you should see the splash guards directly under where the foglight housing is. There are (2) 10mm bolts that you need to remove and then you can access the back of the housing. When you look at the back of the foglight housing/bracket there are (2) 10mm bolts (one above the other) that you need to take off and the housing will come right out. Just be sure to unplug the bulbs before you remove the housing and note which side each housing came from (they're labeled on the bracket itself). Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1_Unleashed
Not hard at all. When you are underneath the front of the car you should see the splash guards directly under where the foglight housing is. There are (2) 10mm bolts that you need to remove and then you can access the back of the housing. When you look at the back of the foglight housing/bracket there are (2) 10mm bolts (one above the other) that you need to take off and the housing will come right out. Just be sure to unplug the bulbs before you remove the housing and note which side each housing came from (they're labeled on the bracket itself). Hope this helps.
wow thats not bad, i found brand new housings for my car for $100 a piece idk if thats cheap or not, but i figured its worth it cause mine are all cloudy and dinged up lol
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

$100 each for the stock fog lights? That's expensive. From what I've seen they are essentially Blazer brand fog lights (not the truck). You can get a pair for $20 - $40. They are getting harder to find though and knock-offs are appearing on ebay. Some of the knock offs use H3 bulbs. They are hard to find in the US, but some people have seen them in Canadian Tire and Princess Auto in Canada in a plain brown box instead of flashy packaging.

The blazer fog lights seem to handle HID well. Many people have done it with great results, although a few had damaged chrome (in the bowl) a while later. Your mileage may vary, but certainly worth a shot if you can find them.

How do they look now? Do they really need to be replaced? If the housing isn't damaged, maybe you just need different bulbs? Or maybe they just need to be cleaned?

Can you post pics?

Hell makes a decent fog light projector in a similar size/shape. I forget the model number though. Although its a H3 projector, some people have put in HID and had good results. Not as good as the Blazer fogs, but alright. I think they had to use H3C bulbs or the newer-style H3 HID bulbs which are shorter than standard HID bulbs to get a good fit and output. Unfortunately, the H3C is less common, more expensive, and has a shorter more delicate life.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-16-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
$100 each for the stock fog lights? That's expensive. From what I've seen they are essentially Blazer brand fog lights (not the truck). You can get a pair for $20 - $40. They are getting harder to find though and knock-offs are appearing on ebay. Some of the knock offs use H3 bulbs. They are hard to find in the US, but some people have seen them in Canadian Tire and Princess Auto in Canada in a plain brown box instead of flashy packaging.

The blazer fog lights seem to handle HID well. Many people have done it with great results, although a few had damaged chrome (in the bowl) a while later. Your mileage may vary, but certainly worth a shot if you can find them.

How do they look now? Do they really need to be replaced? If the housing isn't damaged, maybe you just need different bulbs? Or maybe they just need to be cleaned?

Can you post pics?

Hell makes a decent fog light projector in a similar size/shape. I forget the model number though. Although its a H3 projector, some people have put in HID and had good results. Not as good as the Blazer fogs, but alright. I think they had to use H3C bulbs or the newer-style H3 HID bulbs which are shorter than standard HID bulbs to get a good fit and output. Unfortunately, the H3C is less common, more expensive, and has a shorter more delicate life.

well i have the hids in my stock fogs and they light up really good, but i notice my lens has road rash i guess u would call it lol, i just thought a new pair would make the light shine better through them and match my brand new halos, idk wut i can do to clean them cause they are very small lol

Quick Reply: Removing Fog Light Housing