General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

battery wiped! new battery wiped out too, and NEW alternator wont charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery wiped! new battery wiped out too, and NEW alternator wont charge

So i just got my head/cam combo done and took it to the strip. after the first pass the voltage on my battery was completely depleted. I decided to go into town and get my alternator checked and the car died on the road with i was going 60mph. NO power steering no power brakes... NOTHING! After walking the remainder of the way on foot into town I bought a brand new battery and NEW alternator and waited for a ride. Got them in the car the next day and the car ran fine for like a day. The battery is on like 9 volts and the alternator is not seeming to charge it. At this point i am pissed, frustrated and broke for the rest of the week. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice form the men and women here at ls1tech! Thanks for reading the post and for any and all advice! ~Dustin
Old 08-15-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moved from Advanced Tech to General Maintenance.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kamarobuddy
So i just got my head/cam combo done and took it to the strip. after the first pass the voltage on my battery was completely depleted. I decided to go into town and get my alternator checked and the car died on the road with i was going 60mph. NO power steering no power brakes... NOTHING! After walking the remainder of the way on foot into town I bought a brand new battery and NEW alternator and waited for a ride. Got them in the car the next day and the car ran fine for like a day. The battery is on like 9 volts and the alternator is not seeming to charge it. At this point i am pissed, frustrated and broke for the rest of the week. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice form the men and women here at ls1tech! Thanks for reading the post and for any and all advice! ~Dustin
excitor wire

It plugs into the top of the alternator (tiny little sumbitch) and when you start the car the PCM commands the alternator to start charging via that little wire.

Check it out, they wear out and get damaged very easily.

ebay has them for $10.00. Splice it in with butt connectors and shrink wrap. Don't solder it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-A...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by LS6427; 08-15-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
Don't solder it.
Why not?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Why not?
My guess, because it would / could change the voltage that the pcm sees due to resistance at the solder joint. Technically, if you were to do it right, you would replace the entire wire, going from the connecter at the alternator all the way back to the pcm since from the factory it is that way. It's one solid wire, with no connections or splits.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
My guess, because it would / could change the voltage that the pcm sees due to resistance at the solder joint. Technically, if you were to do it right, you would replace the entire wire, going from the connecter at the alternator all the way back to the pcm since from the factory it is that way. It's one solid wire, with no connections or splits.
But a butt splice will have a higher resistance than a properly soldered connection as long as it's not a cold joint, although the difference probably wouldn't be measureable without going to at least 3 decimals. The solder joint however will be a stronger mechanical connection.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Use a new pigtail connector, solder it, heatshrink it - good to go. This is an OEM acceptable repair process. Regardless, make sure you heatshrink the connection and use a few extra inches of wire.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
My guess, because it would / could change the voltage that the pcm sees due to resistance at the solder joint.
then what about all the solder joints on the printed circuit boards in the PCM?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wasn't saying he was correct about soldering it, I was only GUESSING what the poster meant when he said to use crimpt connectors.

Me personally, I'd replace it with a single wire from the alternator to the pcm and not risk using a connection.