General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leak

Old 08-25-2009, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leak

My car leaks above where the oil filter is and i have no idea what it is. It has two bolts one on each side, can someone please tell me what this part is called and what i can do to stop the leak. Thanks
Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you try tightening them? Clean it off and check it in a month. Or are you talking about a serious constant dripping leak?

About 1 year ago I started seeing little oil/dirt areas built up around the outside of my engine underneath. I was like, what the hell. I took it to my friends dealership (where he works) and put it in the air. Took brake cleaner and cleaned it all off spotless everywhere. I tightened every bolt I could reach, oil pan, engine cover, everything. The best I got from any of them was just a little tiny snug, most were totally tight, nothing was like stupid loose. 1 year later its still 100% spotless of any oil/dirt spots. My engine was 6 years old at the time.....

Nuts and bolts work loose over time and gaskets will leak.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 AM
12 Second Club

Yes, and i replaced the rear main seal a month ago which was one of the causes of me leaving oil on the drive way. That is the only place where it is leaking because i cleaned everything and it points to that place. Do you happen to know the name of it and does it use a gasket?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Bump!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, i hear ya!! im also having some little oil drip issues as well. my car just sits there and i notice that it drips very small, and at the end of the week it would be the size of a quarter if not a bit bigger.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

As long as its not leaking into your exshust (which would turn it blue) or into your coolent its not to big of a problem and shouldent cost you an arm and leg to fix unless somehow you cracked your block or oil pan.

Oil pumps dont create presure only movement of oil to lube cirtian parts of your motor such as your cylinder walls, crankshart camshaft and various other parts of your car.

Search this Thread