General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problems

A little less than a year ago I had to replace my compressor because the air wasnt cold and it made a LOUD ticking noise at idle or slow movement (in parking lot). After replacement, all was fine until recently.

Now, yesterday I was driving around a lot and I heard a loud noise when I shifted into 5th gear and it seemed to be with the engine. Thought my tranny was fucked but I still could move and I shifted to fourth and it still did it. About .2 miles later I hit a light and the car made no sound when slowing down out of gear or idling. After that, I have had no problems leaving that light or driving around else where, it made no noises. Could have been because I was close behind a dump truck (changed lanes passing it when slowing for light), although my friend and I thought the sound came from my car.

Anyways later that day (but not right after) I noticed the AC wasnt blowing cold. It was pretty much just the fan. I noticed if I turned it from off to AC after a little bit, it would be cold for literally half a second then fan again. Today it has been kinda cold with light driving to quick places, but still not like it was a few days ago when I always kept it on low and was fine. Is it possible I leaked freon and its having trouble cooling again? It would suck if I had too spend a grand trying to fix the AC again.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

My Guess is you mostlikly have a leak somewhere but im checking my online study guide right now to see how you can test it/ fix the issue your self

I havent gotten to AC systems in school yet im still in engine fundmentals

OK theres a high pres line and a low presure line from your compressor If the high presure hot and if the low side is cool but it dosent cool the compartment theres a blockage or tie up in the lines but if the high presure line is hot and the low presure line is NOT* cool then the problem lyes in your refregration section. Typo

if theres no hot or cold lines its a restriction in the line
Thats word for word on my dynostic test in my study guide pretty much hope it helps

Pretty much theres 1 line the high presure line is full of gases returning to the refregration systems when the low presure line sends it out to your AC vents

Check those 1st and if they seem fine let me know ill check to see if it could possiable be sumpthing else

Last edited by Stocktonz28; 08-27-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Look at the condenser. You may have taken a rock hit when passing the dump truck.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

I would start with the high/low pressures. . . See what they are at and go from there. Give the system a real good visual.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to look at it. Im at college so kinda busy lol. Funny thing is, now its almost back to normal and I havent had any problems after that day.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a good way to check for leaks is look for traces of oil on your AC lines, mainly around the couplings because thats where your o-rings are an the most common places for leaks. Blockages can be found by heavy frost buildup on your lines, the condenser should have a gradual temperature change as you feel it from top to bottom, orifice tube (or expansion valve not sure which one the fbody uses) can also get clogged. Just some things to look for.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't really diagnose much of an AC system without the proper tools. You need an AC gauge manifold, which hooks up to the high side and low side so you can read pressures and figure out what's going on. You can also get some UV dye from autozone to test where the leak is. It sounds like you have a blockage somewhere, but you need to get your hands on it. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As TireSm0ke stated, you need a set of gauges. After you get them, use this document to diagnose your system: http://www.manexcorp.com/images/Bus_Guage_TS.pdf