General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

general question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question general question

going to wash engine, but i have ngk plugs and tylor wires. just wanted to know if anything would happen if i wet them? thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They should be just fine as long as you don't blast the plug wire ends (spark plug and coil boots) with a direct stream of water, however, some people do get the plug boots a little wet and then they get misfires until it dries in a day or two. Nothing wrong with spraying the wires, coils, plugs with a wide misting kind of spray with the hose to rinse it down. I do it every time I wash my engine....basically, I spray everything except the PCM, fuse boxes and directly into any wire harness. I spray everything from top to bottom. Every time I do it my alternator over-charges for a little while , usually a day. Driving witgh my headlights on with high beams keeps the needle out of the red until it dries. Or if I don't need to drive it, it will dry by the next day. I have no idea what parts I get wet to make it over charge like that. I never get misfires or anything bad though.

Clean the engine when its dead cold too. Or only after letting it warn up for like 5 minutes or so if your brand of cleaner says to. I say this because recently someone sprayed down a hot engine.......