General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird "Clank"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird "Clank"

I'll apologize in advacnce, i HATE diagnosing sounds and i even HATE trying to explain them to ppl even more. I will do the best i can to make sense.

Anyways, here is my issue: when i perform a "panic stop" or decelerate/take my foot off the gas to coast (but NOT everytime) i here this "clunk"/"clank" coming from the front of my car. The best way i can describe the sound is it sounds like lose linkage. Matter of fact, that is what i thought it was so i checked my TB and TB blade and everything is tight. WHen i perform a panic stop from 5mph, i can make the sound on demand and it is pretty loud. It almost sounds like something is suck in the K-member; i recently checked my plugs and i wonder if i dropped a socket and it ended up there and maybe was banging the inside of the cradle when i stop. I don't think it is my tranny mount as my shifter doesn't vibrate, move, ect. Maybe an engine mount?

I'm going to pop my front wheels off this weekend and check the brakes and suspension. The car has 92K origional miles on it so it won't suprise me if something is worn. However; i looked under the car yeaterday and everything looks fine. Nothing broken, bent, leaking, ect.

Has anyone experienced this before? What else should i check? I know that i will pop the wheels off and everything will look ok.