General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C blows cold under throttle and gets warm off throttle??? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C blows cold under throttle and gets warm off throttle??? Why?

Im am baffled on this one guys. Checked the pressure gauge with a pos from advance and its holding pressure (or has freon in it) no leaking. Im guessing its the clutch then maybe?

Anyone have similar occurrences?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's it do with the car idling?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
What's it do with the car idling?
Gets warmer.

Its gotta be the clutch, it sometimes turns on, and sometimes doesn't.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe just needs a new pressure sensor, which tells the clutch to engage. If it is, let me know, I think I have one here somewhere. I'll mail to you for nothing

Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
Maybe just needs a new pressure sensor, which tells the clutch to engage. If it is, let me know, I think I have one here somewhere. I'll mail to you for nothing

Any way to test this and there are 2 I can see, im guessing it would be the high pressure? Which on is that?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Any way to test this and there are 2 I can see, im guessing it would be the high pressure? Which on is that?

Sensor on the top all metal line that goes from the top right corner of the condensor and bolts in back by the passenger side strut.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Launching!

The reason it gets cold with engine rpm is because your putting more load on the AC compressor, at idle, temperatures will always rise. Your AC system is meant to be used while driving, not while in park. if temperatures are extreme hot and cold, there may be something else wrong, but it is not uncommon for a system to do what you are describing.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

especially with dirty condensor (very common on our "road vacuum" style f-bodys) and/or being low on refrigerant will cause the above symptoms.

Ryan
Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
The reason it gets cold with engine rpm is because your putting more load on the AC compressor, at idle, temperatures will always rise. Your AC system is meant to be used while driving, not while in park. if temperatures are extreme hot and cold, there may be something else wrong, but it is not uncommon for a system to do what you are describing.
Its never done this, the ac was always cold at idle, crusing and WOT. This it NOT normal for my car.

The clutch is on but the air is not cold at idle anymore, the air freon in the system with no leaks. Sometimes the clutch isn't on and sometimes it is on.

And when I say at idle its warm, I mean it feel like the heat is on. The whole thing was working perfectly fine the day before.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

When I come to a stop my A/C keeps blowing cold, even if I sit there for 5 minutes. It certainly gets colder if I'm cruising steadily down the road because the condensor is getting much more air-flow through it, but mine never blows warm when I stop or slow down. Its always very cold.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

Its never done this, the ac was always cold at idle, crusing and WOT. This it NOT normal for my car.

The clutch is on but the air is not cold at idle anymore, the air freon in the system with no leaks. Sometimes the clutch isn't on and sometimes it is on.

And when I say at idle its warm, I mean it feel like the heat is on. The whole thing was working perfectly fine the day before.
YOu have a problem for sure, the A/C should never ever blow warm.

I would stop by any A/C shop, I don't see why they would charge you (not much anyway) to tell you if the clutch is coming on and staying on. They can probably run that jumper I told you about to see if the pressure sensor is the issue.

Because if it is the pressure sensor and that sensor is acting up and shutting off the clutch engagment....it will blow warm for 2 seconds after the clutch disengages, it doesn't take long to get warm air coming through. Its like when I forget to turn my A/C off and I do a hard run....my air will start to blow warm 2 seconds after I get on the throttle from the automatic clutch disengagment from the PCM. Then 2 seconds after I let off the pedal....cold air comes through again.

What part of Florida are you in? I know a great A/C guy that will probably do that check for nothing...in Lauderdale.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Launching!

When I come to a stop my A/C keeps blowing cold, even if I sit there for 5 minutes. It certainly gets colder if I'm cruising steadily down the road because the condensor is getting much more air-flow through it, but mine never blows warm when I stop or slow down. Its always very cold.

yes than there is a problem, I said that temperatures will rise at idle, fact. not blow HEAT!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Banned

yes than there is a problem, I said that temperatures will rise at idle, fact. not blow HEAT!
Oh yeah, the temp of my A/C will defintely rise if I sit still for a few minutes on a very hot day, but mine is still always blowing cold. Its hardly noticable really.

But he said his blows "like the heat is on" when he idles. Thats pretty bad.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Keep in mind everytime you hook up the guages your loosing anywhere between 1-4oz depending on how you do it and the camaros have orfice as a metering device and that typeis know in the refrigeration world as CRITICAL CHARGE. So i recomend using a temperature probe before guages ALWAYS. So my first questions would be are your radiator fans running(which ones) air temps coming out the vents idle and driving, and what was the pressures when u had the guages on and how many times you hooked them up? Im not a car a/c expert but i work on refrigeration and understand it decent so i understand most of car a/c systems so if i say anything wrong let me know.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Keep in mind everytime you hook up the guages your loosing anywhere between 1-4oz depending on how you do it and the camaros have orfice as a metering device and that typeis know in the refrigeration world as CRITICAL CHARGE. So i recomend using a temperature probe before guages ALWAYS. So my first questions would be are your radiator fans running(which ones) air temps coming out the vents idle and driving, and what was the pressures when u had the guages on and how many times you hooked them up? Im not a car a/c expert but i work on refrigeration and understand it decent so i understand most of car a/c systems so if i say anything wrong let me know.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2001shpcamaro
Cold start, the driver side fan is on when the ac is on. Then both come on when I drove it around.

Hooked the gauge up twice, at idle it read 55psi.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

Cold start, the driver side fan is on when the ac is on. Then both come on when I drove it around.

Hooked the gauge up twice, at idle it read 55psi.

Fans should ALWAYS come "on" and "off" together. They should also go into "low" and "high" settings together.

The LT1's have fans that come on/off serparately.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Fans should ALWAYS come "on" and "off" together. They should also go into "low" and "high" settings together.

The LT1's have fans that come on/off serparately.
I have an LT1.

Im buying another compressor and just changing it. The clutch is spinning but its blowing warm air now. I hate cars.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

I have an LT1.

Im buying another compressor and just changing it. The clutch is spinning but its blowing warm air now. I hate cars.
But sometimes it blows cold???????

Could just be the clutch.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Clutches are expensive and I got a used compressor for 10x less the price of a new clutch. Im gonna give that a try.

Last edited by whytryz28; 09-07-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C blows cold under throttle and gets warm off throttle??? Why?