General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

drain hole in the power steering system in 2000 LS1 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default drain hole in the power steering system in 2000 LS1 camaro?

i want to drain the power steering fluid in my 2000 LS1 camaro to clean the system from dirts in it. is there a drain plug in my car in the signature that i can unbolt to drain the power steering fluid?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No...you have to take a hose off and let it all drain out. Then refill it. But don't run it dry while doing it with the engine running.
Take the hose off that clamps to the bottom of the reservoir, put it in a pan, start the engine with the tires off the ground. Turn the steering wheel from left-to-right. Have someone there with you pouring new fluid in the reservoir the whole time. When clean fluid starts coming out clean its all flushed. Put that hose back on and refill it.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
No...you have to take a hose off and let it all drain out. Then refill it. But don't run it dry while doing it with the engine running.
Take the hose off that clamps to the bottom of the reservoir, put it in a pan, start the engine with the tires off the ground. Turn the steering wheel from left-to-right. Have someone there with you pouring new fluid in the reservoir the whole time. When clean fluid starts coming out clean its all flushed. Put that hose back on and refill it.

there is 2 hoses.

which hose to take off? and from where to take it off?

is it from the power steering pump side or from the rack and pinion side?

thanks.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want the hose that connects to the bottom of the plastic reservoir closest to the ABS module. It has a regular hose clamp on it.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
there is 2 hoses.

which hose to take off? and from where to take it off?

is it from the power steering pump side or from the rack and pinion side?

thanks.
Do you have a factory power steering fluid cooler?
Picture below.

If not................do this:

There's only ONE hose....the other is a metal line.

Take the black, rubber "hose" off the bottom, drivers side of the black plastic fluid reservoir. It's right there and easy to see and easy to get to.

-Wrap a towel around your alternator. Doubled up.
-When you take that hose off the fluid will pour out of the reservoir, best thing to do is cap it off with a rubber cap and a clamp. Or you could have someone hold their finger over it the whole time. (***Pull that rubber hose straight down...and twist it slightly as you pull. DO NOT put side pressure loads on that port, if it snaps off...you're screwed.***)
-Put the hose end down into a drain pan.
-Top off the reservoir and keep the cap off.
-Start the engine and have a friend stand there and keep pouring new fluid in as it squirts out of the line into the pan. (He can hold the hose into the pan and pour the new fluid in. OR..use a vice grip to hang off the end of the hose so the weight holds it pointing down into the pan.)
-Turn the steering wheel full left and right multiple times until you see clean fluid coming out of the line into the pan. I think when I did it I ran 3 bottles of new stuff through before the clean came out.
-When I saw clean fluid coming out (goes quickly from pure black to clean) I shut the engine off.
-Then I pulled that line back up towards the reservoir, PUT THE CLAMP ON THE HOSE FIRST, then I yanked that cap off real quick and put the hose back on. Clamp it tight. (A tiny bit might spill out of the reservoir port, just do it quick. DON'T LET ANY spill onto the alternator. The towel is there for that.
-Start the engine and top it off to the full level as needed and cap it.
DONE.

Attached Thumbnails drain hole in the power steering system in 2000 LS1 camaro?-dsc01665.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone know how much fluid the power steering system holds all together? i am trying to figure out how much PSF to buy.

thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoyle
anyone know how much fluid the power steering system holds all together? i am trying to figure out how much PSF to buy.

thanks
if i'm not mistaking you need about 2 liters of PSF to fill the power steering system to the full mark.

Quick Reply: drain hole in the power steering system in 2000 LS1 camaro?