General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal/hazard (left front) out. Left rear is hazard only. '99 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal/hazard (left front) out. Left rear is hazard only. '99 Camaro

When attempting to operate the left turn signal...the left turn indicator in the dash stays lit and neither bulb functions. The bulb for the left rear indicator/hazard works for the hazards, but not the turn indicator. The front left bulb is out...period. I've already replaced both of the bulbs. The turn signal and hazard function for the right side of the vehicle is fine.

According to the Haynes manual...the turn signal switch functioning for the right side indicator, but not the left indicates a bad bulb. As I've replaced both of the bulbs in question...I'm at a loss at the moment.

I've spent a couple hours going through the dozens of threads with nearly identical issues, but mine seems to be just a bit different. I appreciate any input you can offer.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Replaced the turn signal switch. The only light that's out now is the front left turn signal. The dash light is flashing as it should.

Last edited by johnlv6; 09-06-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What condition is the socket?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

The socket is in good shape (no corrosion). I just replaced the bulb after doing the turn signal switch...it's fixed now. A bit of a learning curve here. lol
Old 09-06-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought you said you replaced the bulb already. I take it that the bulb was bad from the package? I hate it when that happens.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Yup. I went back to that bulb after installing the switch and figured that had to be it. After installing the switch, the left rear turn indicator started to work, as well as the dash light. From what I've read everywhere else though, that switch is supposed to be good if either side has turn signals.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by johnlv6
Yup. I went back to that bulb after installing the switch and figured that had to be it. After installing the switch, the left rear turn indicator started to work, as well as the dash light. From what I've read everywhere else though, that switch is supposed to be good if either side has turn signals.
Correct. Same blinker is used for either side. Hazards are on a separate blinker.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Correct. Same blinker is used for either side. Hazards are on a separate blinker.
It took me a few minutes to even locate that switch. Someone in another thread mentioned to turn the blinker for the opposite side on to hear the audible tone as a way of tracking it down. That worked in my case (as well as proving that there was nothing wrong with the switch). lol.