General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

driver side window issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default driver side window issues.

i replaced a beat motor. plugged switch back in to harness when i was done. window automatically went down, but will not go back up. its not the switch,(i tried one i know works correctly and it does the same) power remains on motor when its plugged in. if i unplug or hit the up, it goes dead. im thinking that this is the reason the motor before had **** the bed. anyone experience this? im thinkin a short in harness? input please!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Lots of people are having this problem with bad motors from parts stores. If your new motor looks like the old one, its probably a rebuilt dud.

The new Doorman model of motors are supposed to be genuinely new and should treat you better.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Launching!

its actually new i think. got from gm. i dunno. seems like its gettin the wrong electrical signals. i think at this point i wanna use the bfh on it.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Yea, even though the guy behind the counter says its "new," he has no idea really. They haven't manufactured these motors in years. (I learned this lesson on an old GM car a long time ago. Once many of the GM parts are obsolete, the dealer will mix reman units in their stock under the original part number.)
Old 09-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Launching!

k. i'll try another one.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but when i was buying my motors there was always two options for them. The first was aftermarket that had a small 60 day warranty. The oem style was a lifetime warranty and cost about $10-15 more than the aftermarket one.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea, even though the guy behind the counter says its "new," he has no idea really. They haven't manufactured these motors in years. (I learned this lesson on an old GM car a long time ago. Once many of the GM parts are obsolete, the dealer will mix reman units in their stock under the original part number.)
where did you here that at, and if it were true you should report the dealership to gm. in my 25 yrs selling gm parts i never did this, gm goes offer new and rebuilt starters alternators and ecm's( at least they used to in the 90's) with new parts inside. i believe its illegal to sell a part as new if its been rebuilt, consumer fraud. i dont think a dealer would take that chance.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I work at a GM dealer as a parts advisor and we don't mix REMAN parts and new here either. Many GM parts are offered as new and reman, as well as some parts have AC-DELCO versions that have less expensive and carry the same warranty.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by jam01
where did you here that at, and if it were true you should report the dealership to gm. in my 25 yrs selling gm parts i never did this, gm goes offer new and rebuilt starters alternators and ecm's( at least they used to in the 90's) with new parts inside. i believe its illegal to sell a part as new if its been rebuilt, consumer fraud. i dont think a dealer would take that chance.
It was a long time ago for another car and I forget what the exact part was. The part was definitely (visibly) in a rebuilt casing and the GM description was neither new or reman. The folks there told me that if its listed as new, is and if its listed as reman, it is, and if its listed as neither, it could be either.

FYI - I'm also not suggesting that a new GM part is fraudulent. Merely that if a salesman (GM or otherwise) says its "new," they may be meaning an uneducated assumption. I'm also not suggesting that a dealer would intentionally mix parts but that Delco mixes the parts supplied to GM under the same part number.

In the case of these door motors, I don't know what the GM terminal says for a description, but I did recieve a rebuilt motor passed off as "new" from an AutoZone a few years ago. (Easy to tell as scratches were present from drilling out the case rivets and the casing was scratched and marked with a different brand name.)
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was a long time ago for another car and I forget what the exact part was. The part was definitely (visibly) in a rebuilt casing and the GM description was neither new or reman. The folks there told me that if its listed as new, is and if its listed as reman, it is, and if its listed as neither, it could be either.

FYI - I'm also not suggesting that a new GM part is fraudulent. Merely that if a salesman (GM or otherwise) says its "new," they may be meaning an uneducated assumption. I'm also not suggesting that a dealer would intentionally mix parts but that Delco mixes the parts supplied to GM under the same part number.

In the case of these door motors, I don't know what the GM terminal says for a description, but I did recieve a rebuilt motor passed off as "new" from an AutoZone a few years ago. (Easy to tell as scratches were present from drilling out the case rivets and the casing was scratched and marked with a different brand name.)

so what the heck are you talking about, did you buy from gm or autozone! you made a comment about gm parts but then say you bought from autozone. you make no f-in sense, if you dont know what your talking about please don't confuse others with your babble.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by jam01
so what the heck are you talking about, did you buy from gm or autozone! you made a comment about gm parts but then say you bought from autozone. you make no f-in sense, if you dont know what your talking about please don't confuse others with your babble.
- I got reman motor from autozone
- I got other reman parts from GM
- If GM remans some parts, they could do the same with motor

I won't return the insult or drop my credentials here as this isn't the place. We've already hijacked the thread enough.

Regardless of this one particular motor, its undeniable that the OEM motor design for these cars is junk. Whether a new OEM motor or a remain OEM motor goes in - its gonna fail again - soon. I'm the original owner of my car and generally only install Delco parts, but the window motors are not one of them.

There are two options to escape the need to constantly change out these motors: The new Doorman design or an aftermarket option like ElectricLife. I switched to the ElectricLife option before the new Doorman came out and I've lasted longer (and at 100% performance) than any of the 6 OEM motors I've had installed.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

- I got reman motor from autozone
- I got other reman parts from GM
- If GM remans some parts, they could do the same with motor

I won't return the insult or drop my credentials here as this isn't the place. We've already hijacked the thread enough.

Regardless of this one particular motor, its undeniable that the OEM motor design for these cars is junk. Whether a new OEM motor or a remain OEM motor goes in - its gonna fail again - soon. I'm the original owner of my car and generally only install Delco parts, but the window motors are not one of them.

There are two options to escape the need to constantly change out these motors: The new Doorman design or an aftermarket option like ElectricLife. I switched to the ElectricLife option before the new Doorman came out and I've lasted longer (and at 100% performance) than any of the 6 OEM motors I've had installed.
first off i appologize for the rude comment. but there is a difference between delco remanufactured parts and new gm parts. me personally i dont like using autozone or advance electrical parts, when i can avoid it. to the op sorry for ruining your thread.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Launching!

cant be bad if all it does is go down u f-in hijackers. its not the switch, and its not the motor. auto down control module?
Old 09-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Launching!

thats what it was! fixed! bad module
Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Save the manuals!

A thousand apologies for my role in the hijacking. Before going off on a tangent, I misread your post and totally skipped the comment that you were still seeing power at the motor even after the window stopped moving.

There is a cutoff function in the module that could have been failing and causing the motor to see power all the time. That could have caused the motor to overheat and malfunction when you tried to go up.

I'd be interested to know how things are going with your windows in a couple of weeks. If your module did fail in this way, I'd like to monitor mine and see what they are doing.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Launching!

np. thats def what happend. module failed and kept juicin the motor.