General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

electrical problems with 99 trans am

Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problems with 99 trans am

well I am new to this forum, Ive been having issues with my ride lately and can't figure out what it might be, maybe I can have some assistance here.

I was driving my trans am to work, after turning off the engine I was going to raise the driver's side window, it did not budge (note: been having this happen for few days before). So I decide to start the engine just in case, and nothing, car won't start. So I am at work already and just leave the car there and deal with it after work. So later that day I try to start the car and it starts with no problem. I make it home just fine. Few days later, maybe three. I am at a red light and I feel the car shake a little, like its wanting to shut off but it does not. I am able to drive about half a mile more until the car shuts down. I am guessing that it was the battery so I turn on the lights and they are fine, wipers were moving at a good speed too. I start the car once more and able to drive about 100 feet and then it shuts off for good. I try cranking it but it struggles. I jump it with my Duralast jump starter and nothing. I get a tow truck, he tries to jump the battery too and nothing. Im guessing it has to be the battery. I take it to the auto part store to have it tested and results show its fine, I only bought the battery two years ago. So I put back it and the car starts. I get the battery, alternator, and starter tested with the multimeter and everything checks out good.

Anyone have a clue?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

corrosion on the cables

broken ground or loose ground (the one attached to the body under/near the fuse boxes and near the alternator)

Battery could still be bad....sometimes they test fine and they're bad inside. They work, then they don't.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no corrosion on the cables. just checked the ground cable and they are all tight and intact. thanks anyway
Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_1006
there is no corrosion on the cables. just checked the ground cable and they are all tight and intact. thanks anyway
You have another car where you can borrow the battery to see if the symptoms go away?

Oh, also people have had "cracked" positive cables that cause all those problems too. The cable, inside the rubber coating literally cracks in two and the electricity cannot travel through sometimes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electrical problems with 99 trans am