General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Temp Knob Spins Freely!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp **** Spins Freely!!!

Ok so this morning I had the front defrost and the rear (if it matters), and I had the heat all the in the red (all the way clock-wise), then I went to turn the **** cooler (counter-clockwise), the **** acted like something broke and now spins with hardly no effort (normally the **** is kind of hard to turn). The **** will not pull off so I don't think the **** is broken, but I cannot change the temp now!!! Do you think the hoses on the back popped off? I am at work right now and I can't take it off and look behind it.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The **** broke, it happens! It's a d-shaped hole that matches the shaft on the control. Your gonna need another **** form the stealership. I've had to remove one from another spot to turn down/off heater before, then swap it back!

-SS
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There is a bike cable attached from the **** to the heating duct. You could have a break anywhere in between.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Launching!

I'm positive it's not the **** its self, because I can't even pull it off without a screwdriver or something to pry on it. But I'm sure it's probably the cable. Does anybody know where to get a NEW one, part number? Has anybody done a write-up on this? I just don't know were it connects on the part near the firewall.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You may not need a new cable.

The easiest thing to check is where the cable actuates the hot/cold flapper in the duct system. Remove the lower IP cover on the passenger side and you'll see a round disk bolted to the bottom of the duct system with a single 6 mm bolt. (I think it was a 6mm) That disk has the cable coming out of it. Take the bolt out and then remove the cable mechanism.

Next, with the mechanism detached, observe what happens when you turn the ****. If the cables move, you'll know the problem is in that disk. If they don't move, then the problem is at the control panel.

In the disk at the duct, there is a spring that controls the positioning of hot/cold and allows one to adjust the sensitivity of the flapper. You could have problems there if the spring breaks or if the cables come undone at that point.

If the cables don't move at the disk, then you'll have to take the temp control panel out and see what's happening at the back of it.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out this thread. Its about relocating the HVAC controls, but it has detailed pics and notes on the disassemble of the controls.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...s-97-02-a.html

Looking at the pics, it possible that just the spring let go.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

any update?