General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Passenger side of motor not firing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Passenger side of motor not firing

I think I described it right. Basically I'm getting codes P0352, P0354, P0356, P0358 and just for the fun of it I'm also getting a P0463. I have been having back to back electrical gremlins for the past two weeks. I got the car back from the transmission shop and every time I went over a bump the car would lose power for a brief moment and cut back on. Once the car was home the fuel pump stopped coming on and I would lose ignition sporadically. Sometimes the pump would come on but I had no ignition I ended up finding two broken ground wires on the back of the head. That solve that problem sort of now at least the fuel pump comes on and the car turns on but only the driver side is "firing". I can put my hand right on the passenger side headers and they are cold as ice

I have replaced just about every relay and fuse in the two engine bay fuse boxes with some out the harness from my Z28 and I have validated that with the key in the run position I have power at injector plugs and the coil packs. What else do I need to check or what am I overlooking?

Just a brief summary of things that have happened. The car was down for about a year and after getting the motor back in I experienced something similar when we first tried to turn the car on. The motor would turn over and the fuel pump was on but I had no ignition/spark. We ended up tracing the problem to the ground wire going to the ignition relay in one of the fuse boxes up front. I had to make a new ground for it and all was well. I even redid that ground a second time a few days ago with a slightly heavier gauge wire just to make sure I had a good ground and that it wasn't the same issue again.

In addition to the passenger side of the motor not firing now the damn fuel level gauge is stuck on empty even though there is about half a tank of gas in it. This is stemming from the P0463 I believe. This crap is really starting to get irritating. I take the car to get something rebuilt(tranny) and that gets fixed but comes back with new issues . Old age is catching up with this piece. Maybe it's time for a new harness?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Carlos
Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have ignition voltage at the coils, my guess is a bad ground. The entire bank uses a common black wire.

I will send you the wiring diagram if you wish, but I cannot send it through this site for some reason. PM me with your E mail if you want it.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man sent you a pm.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you figure this out? same problem on a friends car
Old 06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah. I have my coil packs relocated on the front frame rail. One of my coil pack harness extensions I made got toasted cause it was too close to the headers. The wires were melted together and causing the problem.

Quick Reply: Passenger side of motor not firing