General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Manual Fan Switch SES light

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Fan Switch SES light

So I did the manual fan switch where you simply splice into the high and low speed wires that are on the passenger side of the engine bay in one of the 3 large wiring harnesses. I then ran each wire to the side of a DPDT switch and grounded them out. It works great, low speed on one side high speed on the other. I also wired an LED that comes on when the highspeed fans are on (or when the PCM turns them on like usual)

Enter the SES light. It throws a code whenever I have the fans on for more than 2 "ignition cycles". If i dont manually turn them on for 2 more ignition cycles the light will go out. I have a code scanner and can post the actual code number soon.

Any idea how i can get it to not throw a code? Everything runs great and works well, but the SES is annoying at best. Is it a resistor or something I missed?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post the code.

I had a 99 which i installed the slp manual fan switch kit on (same thing you did) and never had a problem. But on my 2002, I did the same thing and got the SES light.
My solution was to throw 2 diodes in the circuit, to prevent the pcm from seeing the fan relays activated when they shouldn't be, or it thinks they should not be because it did not command them. I'm guessing the pcm interprets it as a failed relay and throws the SES.

below is the diagram, i have a diagram somewhere of what i did back in 2002,
if i can find it i'll post it, I don't remember if I used the 47-ohm resistors between the diode and pcm.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 09-18-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html

Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Ahhhh the diodes....i followed that same schematic from shbox but i left out the diodes because it worked well and i was using a "switched 12v". But now that i think about it, I can run the fans even with the ignition off, so it's not switched....right?

I think that may be it, i'll run to radioshack and toss those in there. The area next to my cig lighter looks like a plate of spaghetti after this little switch install, heh. I really gotta clean this mess up some.

Thank you, I forgot to run the code since I haven't seen the ses light (it's chilly here now, no need for fan switch).
Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to the op the code is simply saying voltage is applied to the circuit
Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

That seems like a pointless code to throw...is it a problem that the circuit is getting voltage? Heh.

Still not home to run the code, i'll double check in a couple hours.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatsby
That seems like a pointless code to throw...is it a problem that the circuit is getting voltage? Heh.

Still not home to run the code, i'll double check in a couple hours.
i would assume it would be a code for the fan relay going out, but when i turned mine on it would immediately trigger the ses light