General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a-arm bolt?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a-arm bolt?

hey guys we were installing my vogtland lowering springs last night and got to my driver side, when it came down to removing the spindle from the a-arm that bolt that hold the 2 together ended up getting its threads messed up do to shitty removal of the cotter pin. my question is how to i replace please tell me i dont have to take the springs back off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Thumbs down threads

Hey there,

Are you talking about the ball joint??? You may be able to chase the threads w/a thread chaser if they arent screwed up that bad, if not (and your talking about the ball joint) your gonna have to pull the arm off and have the ball joint pressed out and a new one just pressed in. You wont have to remove the spring itself, just unbolt the strut. Just had new bushings and lower ball joints pressed in on both sides, $100 in parts and $100 bucks in labor for a local shop to do them- Got fricken raped on labor Hope this helps-
Jeremy
Old 09-18-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i just did lowering springs if thats the ball joint then yeah its the part that connects the a-arm to the sprindle with cotter pin
Old 09-18-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its that single bolt
Old 09-18-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is your upper ball joint. If the threads are that bad then you will have to replace it, I'd use a quality part like Moog and not a $20 cheapie. You will have to either drill or grind off the rivets holding the stock piece on, then you can bolt the new one in place. Or just remove the A arm, bring it to a shop and have them do it...can't be much for labor.

Search this Thread