General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2 sensor problem or...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O2 sensor problem or...?

Hey guys quick question.

Not too long after my long tube install my car seemed to be running rough in the upper RPM ranges, lets say from 5500-6200 or so. The car seems like it is stuttering or getting too much fuel. The power curve just really drops from 5500 on.

Anyway, I ran my 02 extensions out and zip tied to wires up and away from the headers, well the last time i took a peak under the body my 02 wire has fallen down and is laying against the long tubes.

Do you think that the 02 wire being subject to so much heat might cause this problem? Because obviously it is subject to heat throughout the entire RPM range, but maybe it is just affected high in the range.

If that is totally out of the question then what else do you think it could be?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If the sheathing is melted off the wire and it's making contact with metal, then the O2 is shorting out and sending false feedback to the PCM.

It happened to me and the car would barely run once it went into closed loop.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^ agree.

I had this happen years ago. My tranny guy didn't zip tie my wires out of the way after putting my tranny back in...and about 2.5 hours into my drive from Lauderdale to Orlando my engine started stumbling just like you describe. I got it home and the next day took it to Macedo Motorsports....the wires were melted from just banging up against the header for 2.5 hours. They replced those wires, fixed.....

Old 09-19-2009, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, that would be nice if it is something simple like that. Gunna take a peak at the wire a little closer when i get back into town.

thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by multiplicityZ
alright, that would be nice if it is something simple like that. Gunna take a peak at the wire a little closer when i get back into town.

thanks
Its easy to fix. They charged me like $40 if I remember correctly. Just cut the bad sections out and splice new, same gauge wire in and then shrink wrap both splices.

Do one wire at a time so you don't mix them up. Should take ya about 20 minutes to one sensor bundle.