General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering whining

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering whining

My power steering pump is LOUD when I make turns and accelerate at the same time. It works fine so I don't think my pump is going out, I do think I've got air in the PS lines though, so how do I get the air out? I've heard of a procedure where you turn "lock to lock" with the front wheels off the ground, could someone describe this procedure to me though? Thank you
Old 09-20-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

at work we do a "flush". we suck the old fluid out, then refill the reservoir. then turn the wheel all the way to the right, then to the left 8 times. that is the lock to lock. we repeat until the bottle is empty, then refill. works wonders
Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
at work we do a "flush". we suck the old fluid out, then refill the reservoir. then turn the wheel all the way to the right, then to the left 8 times. that is the lock to lock. we repeat until the bottle is empty, then refill. works wonders
so to get rid of the old fluid you basically like pump it out? then you move the wheel 8 times lock to lock and you said until the bottles empty? so how does the bottle empty do you have to keep pumping it out? sorry i may not be getting this kind of dumb about this lol
Old 09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

also, where do you drain it from? the hose that is sticking out of the bottom of the reservoir?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
also, where do you drain it from? the hose that is sticking out of the bottom of the reservoir?
we dont drain it. we have a bottle of power steering fluid with us. we suck out all the old fluid, then refill it with new fluid from the bottle. we then turn the wheel 8 times "lock to lock". then we repeat. we do it until we empty the bottle. the ones i have done have completely changed the steering of the car
Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Correct
Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
we dont drain it. we have a bottle of power steering fluid with us. we suck out all the old fluid, then refill it with new fluid from the bottle. we then turn the wheel 8 times "lock to lock". then we repeat. we do it until we empty the bottle. the ones i have done have completely changed the steering of the car
got ya, so you suck the old fluid out from the top of the reservoir? how do you get the fluid that is already in the lines out?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Im wondering the same thing????
Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

got ya, so you suck the old fluid out from the top of the reservoir? how do you get the fluid that is already in the lines out?
yes we get it out from the top. the point of repeating the process is to cycle the new fluid through the lines so it mixed with the old.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Launching!

how do u drain it from the top what do u use?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mastercoryd
how do u drain it from the top what do u use?
lol.. We have the BG power steering flush machine... If you drain the resevior and refill it, then turn the steering wheel back and forth the resevior is going to fill and mix old and new fluid, then we drain the resevior again and again and again and again, until 99% of the fluid has cycled and is brand new.... we also use a cleaner first to get all the gunk up.... its like 60 bucks at most shops... you may just be low on ps fluid from a leak!

EDIT, we have a machine that runs off the air compressor that will suck out the old fluid with a small tube, then fill it with another tube...
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
lol.. We have the BG power steering flush machine... If you drain the resevior and refill it, then turn the steering wheel back and forth the resevior is going to fill and mix old and new fluid, then we drain the resevior again and again and again and again, until 99% of the fluid has cycled and is brand new.... we also use a cleaner first to get all the gunk up.... its like 60 bucks at most shops... you may just be low on ps fluid from a leak!

EDIT, we have a machine that runs off the air compressor that will suck out the old fluid with a small tube, then fill it with another tube...
im glad someone knows what the hell i am talking about. its not that hard of a concept to imagine.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn man im sorry i dont have special equipment like that. I apreciate your input I really do, but I'm wondering how to get the fluid out with standard tools, I need a way to drain the fluid and was just wondering if there was a way to drain it without being detrimental to what I'm trying to do
Old 09-25-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

damn man im sorry i dont have special equipment like that. I apreciate your input I really do, but I'm wondering how to get the fluid out with standard tools, I need a way to drain the fluid and was just wondering if there was a way to drain it without being detrimental to what I'm trying to do
you can do it with a siphon gun, it will take longer but will work just as well
Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the help Hitman, ill give this a try for sure
Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

I got that same whine. I like to pretend its a supercharger...hahaha. It does bother me, but the steering works just fine. I just figured on replacing the fluid and seeing how it goes. Let me know if it works for you. I also notice that after a week or so, it pushes a little bit out the top.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

haha alright, ill let you know how it goes.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

also interested in how this turns out
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i forgot to post up the results...sorry. anyway, the whine is greatly diminished. it can still be heard very faintly, but I believe with another try the air will get worked out of the lines and all will be good. Thank guys
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

suck the fluid out with a turkey baster, if you want to do it cheaply. or even use one of those battery filler things with the tube and the squeeze ball.