General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is a winter storage unit worth it?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a winter storage unit worth it?

With winter coming I wanted to see if I had the right idea for winter storage for the car. I plan on getting my antifreeze checked, doing a good wax job, removing the tires, and covering it for the winter, also storing the tires and battery inside. Then parking it far enough in the backyard I don’t have to worry about the snow blower throwing rocks on it. I wish I had a garage but I don't and the storage unit I would get is not heated so I figure I could save the money and have a little more for the garage.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would think a storage unit would be highly beneficial, but if you don't plan on driving it through out the winter; a cover, removing the tires(or putting on jack stands), and disconnecting the battery should be fine. it's really the salt that's put on the roads during the winter that causes a lot of the corrosion.

i'm in Cali right now, but i grew up in missouri so i know a little bit of the effects of winter.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I love driving my Firebird in the winter! (Well, its really more drifting my Firebird - but its fun.) Not sure you could do that in ND reliably without a block heater, though.

If you store, don't forget fuel stabilizer.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I think I will stop driving as soon as we get our first snow. Its not that I'm worried about salt we dont use it up here ,to cold. I just dont want to chance messing up the car when my truck has gotten me through many winters.Do fuel stabilizers work?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlurSS
Thanks guys. I think I will stop driving as soon as we get our first snow. Its not that I'm worried about salt we dont use it up here ,to cold. I just dont want to chance messing up the car when my truck has gotten me through many winters.Do fuel stabilizers work?
I put mine away simply for the reason that I don't want it to be out in the weather. It sits in an unheated garage but it isn't subject to the harsh weather and wind that the midwest is known for.

Yes get some sta-bil and put enough in your tank to match the amount of fuel that's in there.
If you can't afford or justify the garage what you plan on doing should be sufficient, just make sure you get a good all weather cover that locks down.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it I would trickle charge the battery connected to the system so you don't collect moisture in the wiring.

Search this Thread