General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stumped on the #1 cylinder misfire code

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped on the #1 cylinder misfire code

I have owned my 2001 WS6 for a year and a half and am very good mechanically but I CANNOT figure out this problem. I'm 25 and have hot rodded since I was 17 with my dads '68 camaro, and my numerous carbuerated big cammed hot rods, but had to switch to the LS1, its got so much to offer. So far I ran 13.08 stock which was crazy...then I had my t56 built by tick performance and I have the pro.5.0, I installed everything including LT headers, no cats,slp lid,msd plug wires and free mods...well it just went 12.49 with street tires 2 months ago...well 2 days ago it rained hard and I had to leave work when they locked the gates and I had to go through water up to my doors but I idled through it, I drove 30mi home and shut it off to go into a gas station....when I came out it puttered bad when I started it and it runs like its on 4 cylinders until around 3,000 RPM's then its like a nitrous boost in 2nd gear at 50mph when I hit about 3,000 it will all of a sudden go from running barely to burning the tires off to where its almost out of control....what is wrong?...I put new wires and plugs in??? OBDII is reading #1 cylinder misfire and iver checked the injector by looking at it but I have no idea what to do, and also sometimes it runs perfectly fine...especially when I first start it...any help would be awesome...its been since january since I did anything to tha car which I installed the tranny and put a LS7 clutch in around july '09
Old 10-03-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

water up to your doors? check your o2 sensors by unplgging them and make sure that your wires are the way into the spark plugs. i dont know what else could be causing this.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep your o2 sensors got wet...Should be fine when they dry out in a day or two...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is misfire only cylinder #1?

I would swap #1 and #3 coils and see if the misfire stays at #1 or travels to #3.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

most likely coil fault since the car got wet.

I have no idea on the ls1, can you ohm the coil to see if its within spec, less resistance is usually better. Check the ohms right after you drive the car, the hotter the coil the more resistance and heat it creates, and it starts to miss fire.

Good advise about swapping, id change it to the other bank thou.

I would think that you got the car wet, might have started a miss fire, and it might clear out if you get the car up to temp.

Check the wires, coils and maybe you have some water in the tank?
BW
Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

o2 sensors would be my guess. Especially becuase the same thing happened to me. I went through a big *** puddle that I couldn't see because it was raining so hard and the car started to do the same thing. Ran like a turd until around 3000 RPM's then it took off. I had a ton of codes popping up along with the SES light flashing. I let the car sit and dry out for a couple hours in the sun the next day and it drove fine. After I replaced the o2 sensors, I never had the problem again.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

I work at a shop that does over a million dollars every year... I replaced 1 o2 sensor last year... people here make it seem liked I would be replacing 1 a day!! Swap out coils, then just drive the car for a while... what is or was wet will dry...