General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Save Money on Oil and Oil Filters!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Save Money on Oil and Oil Filters!

I recently had an oil analysis done on my 2002 Camaro SS. I've got full boltons with a tune. This car is raced occasionally and driven daily. It gets a pretty good amount of highway miles. I always do my oil changes my self and somehow got heart enough to put faith in my ols(oil monitering system). This was the first time I did it. I read online while researching that in the owner's manual of fleet cars, gm says to only change the oil when the oil change light comes on. What's different about their car than mine? Nothing, exactly!

I got my results and here they are.

They said everything looks GREAT!

LIONEL: Nothing unusual showed up in this initial sample from the 5.7L in your '02 SS. Universal averages
show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,100 miles on the oil. This oil was run longer
than that and wear metals still read nice and low, so there are no evident problems developing inside your
engine. The 2.4 TBN shows some oil additive still active (1.0 is the low cutoff for extended oil use). Low
silicon and insolubles show sound air and oil filtration. The viscosity was 5W/30 and no contaminants were
found. Try ~8,000 miles next oil fill.
09/29/09
02 SS
Gasoline (Unleaded) Citgo Ethanol Free93oct
Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30 K&N Oil Filter
1 qt added
10/7/2009
GM LS-1 5.7L 346 CI V-8
6,439 Miles

My car had 96,674miles on it when I changed the oil btw

Somebody tell me how to post the copy on here.

Last edited by 7camaro7; 10-07-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Search this Thread