General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do I clean my IAC valve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I clean my IAC valve?

Hey all,
My car has a problem where it will occasionally idle at 500 rpm or lower when I come to a traffic light. I have figured this problem to be linked to the IAC valve. Does anybody have a procedure for removing it and cleaning it? I have 85k on the car, and it probably hasn't been cleaned. I have searched for a procedure on here, and can't really find anything. Thanks.

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 10-14-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unplug it first. Then take the two torx screws out and the valve comes out in one piece.

Simply spray the hell out of it, everywhere, with MAF cleaner or Sea Foam spray or WD-40.

Then spray inside the port where it goes. Black crap builds up in there and that black rubber piece on the valve leaves a gummy residue in there. You can twist a rag and stick it in there too to get the crud out.

Actually, its rarely the IAC valve causes idling issues, those damn things last forever. But it could be. Its usually a vacuum leak, dirty filters or dirty injector(s).

Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks. I was afraid to take it out because I took one out on another car I used to have, and the plunger assembly sprung right off of the actuator! I had to go to the parts yard and get another. But yea, the car runs good other than the random idle issue. Sometimes I start it up in the garage and let it run, and it seems like after a little while it will get real quiet and begin to fight as the RPMs drop. It seems like its getting starved, sometimes it throws a lean code or two (maybe once every 2 weeks). I have basically ruled out the MAF because the car does not buck when the converter locks up (i've had bad MAFs before and they've done that) and runs great all the way up to 6000 RPMs .
Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
Thanks. I was afraid to take it out because I took one out on another car I used to have, and the plunger assembly sprung right off of the actuator! I had to go to the parts yard and get another. But yea, the car runs good other than the random idle issue. Sometimes I start it up in the garage and let it run, and it seems like after a little while it will get real quiet and begin to fight as the RPMs drop. It seems like its getting starved, sometimes it throws a lean code or two (maybe once every 2 weeks). I have basically ruled out the MAF because the car does not buck when the converter locks up (i've had bad MAFs before and they've done that) and runs great all the way up to 6000 RPMs .
Well, make sure when you take it out that you pull it out real slow. If it is the IAC valve it could be completely run to its limit and the spring could be about to come off. But that would mean its messed up.

I've had mine out about 6 times to clean it over the years and its always nicely together.

While you're at it...spray the hell out of the MAF anyway to clean it. Also....lift your lid and spray the hell out of the IAT sensor thats stuck in the lid. They need cleaning sometimes.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my 3rd - 160K miles - must just be chance...

Originally Posted by LS6427
Actually, its rarely the IAC valve causes idling issues, those damn things last forever. But it could be. Its usually a vacuum leak, dirty filters or dirty injector(s).
Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by great421
I'm on my 3rd - 160K miles - must just be chance...
3 IAC's...wow. I still have my factory original in my 427ci, took it out of my stock engine when it came out. Some parts just last forever.

My TPS failed a few years ago though.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Teching In

So I took mine out to clean it and realized I pushed the IAC plunger into the sensor. Should this spring back?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Berto
So I took mine out to clean it and realized I pushed the IAC plunger into the sensor. Should this spring back?
No... but you may have broken the plastic worm gear inside it.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Teching In

How do I test if the IAC is working properly. I am assuming there are some resistances to check? I tried to find a factory service manual online, but no luck.

Quick Reply: How do I clean my IAC valve?