General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeeky Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeky Pulley

A few weeks ago I busted my A/C belt at the track. After replacing the belt the next day I noticed a pretty loud squeek...especially when turning on the A/C. I changed out the tensioner pulley but the squeek continued. Turns out it's the A/C compressor pulley is the problem.

That leaves me with two questions. Is this fixable or do I need to change out the whole compressor. Second question, does breaking the belt have anything to do with the squeeking or was it just coincidence?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

It's pretty likely that the belt broke because the pulley bearing is dead. You can just replace the bearing, no need for a new compressor.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
It's pretty likely that the belt broke because the pulley bearing is dead. You can just replace the bearing, no need for a new compressor.
I called the dealership and they said I could just change out the pulley but it's pretty expensive because it has the clutch attached to it. Where can I get the bearing? Autozone, Advance?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

The best place is probably NAPA. No surprise at all that the dealership told you that, they haven't made repairs at the component level in decades.