General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

annoying single cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying single cylinder misfire

I need someones help fixing this misfire problem. I was driving through a lot of water and rain to get home from work and when I got about 30miles from where I went through the water my car started really misfiring bad like it was on 4 cylinders when I would take off, the rpm's would barely go up but when I would put the throttle down all the way it just would wake up and have full power, I have a '01 WS6 T56, Ls7 clutch thats new, LT headers,catless Y pipe, and free mods,slp lid, new msd wires. So I had the OBDII scanned and it showed cylinder #1 misfire...I checked the plugs and wires and it had spark and smells like unburnt fuel bad at idle...but now its been 2 weeks and seems likie when it gets warmed up it runs normal all the time, but other times if its really cold here in illinois like under 45 degrees it cuts out again but not alway and anytime it does cut out all I have to do is give it full throttle and it wakes right up then runs fine till I stop and let it idle again or whatever...I have a buddy at the chevy dealership that told me sounds like a coil going out...he said put #1 coil on #2 and if it says #2 is misfiring then its a coil obviously....anyone else ever had this problem or know what it could be?...it doesnt make sense to run fine at times and then other times run horrible until the throttle goes down...does it get more spark when u hit the throttle or what?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Launching!

so it didnt change to cylinder number 2 when you swapped coils or you didnt do that yet? that would be a good idea... it will take 2 minutes of your time. what did the spark plug look like? how many miles since your last tune up?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

My last tune up were new plugs and they are tha good ones with tha little tip and I installed them in january, then I installed msd plug wires in march, and put tha longtubes and all my mods on from january to april and never had a problem until the day I went through 8 inches of water, and I know for sure my header collectors and exhaust was underwater because it was coming into my car ( the water)...also a week before that I ran that nitrous octane booster and it said it raises octane to 107 if using 92-93 octane which I do, the guy at oreilly said it wouldnt effect my car, so I dont know if thats what did it or if water got in the o2's...I spliced my 02's to make them longer when I put the LT headers on back in january and I used the 02's that were in the car and it had 107,000mi on it, they were pretty dirty....it has ran great the last 2 days so I took it today to see if its running any codes now and it had 6 codes now and last week just read 1 misfire...and my plugs,wires, everything r fine, I checked continuity in my injectors, pulled all plugs and wires and still ran fine most the time..it usually just does it when its warming up and when I stop and take off in 1st gear, but once rpm's are up its fine...codes now are random misfire,throttle body meter, never heard of that, it has a new throttle pos sensor, all 4 02 codes, which It doesnt have cats so the back 2 obviously will go off, but the back 2 didnt even show up on the test last week thats whats weird...im definatley thinking the 02's now...my buddy at tha GM dealership he's been a mechanic there for 8 years and said 99% of the time if its a single cyl misfire its a plug,injector or coil, and I've checked all those, and he said if its randon misfire its usually 99% the 02's, so I'm thinking now I need to buy 2 new 02 extensions and new sensors, but I got laid off in january right after I bought all the mods and since have had to sell my truck, bike, and now I had to save up for 2 used back tires for 3 weeks to just get them and pay ing my payments,insurance and cell phone is so hard right now I really dont have the money for anything, im 25 and all ive done is weld since I was 20 and always made decent money, but theres no jobs in my area now anywhere, so I really cant buy new sensors and extensions, but if I have to them I have to.....
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Teching In

BTW, voltage does step up as engine rpm's rise(or when you go WOT). And maybe you should change the plugs since they where put on in january. Start there and let us know what comes from it.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And dont waste your money with octane booster. complete junk IMO.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
And dont waste your money with octane booster. complete junk IMO.
Times 2
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A couple of things. I would check your o2 wires on your lt's, and make sure they aren't laying up against them, melting them. Same with your plug wires, a melted plug wire can cause a misfire. Also, check the plugs, you could have a bad/cracked one.

You may have sucked in some water also.....that can screw all kinds of things up
Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Start swapping things to the cylinder next to it and weed things out till you find it.

Spark plug wires first (make sure both ends SNAP into place)
Then spark plugs (check for cracks in the ceramic)
Then coils
Then fuel injector (it could be leaking or clogged)

Let us know whats up after you do all that shiiii-stuff.