General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

broken power steering pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default broken power steering pulley

so my factory plastic power steering pump pulley has busted and is so loose i can wiggle the pulley on the shaft... iirc the c6 pulley is made of metal and i just checked gm, they want $22 for it. the stock plastic unit is $50.

i was wondering if anyone has both and could look at them for me? i think the c6 pulley sits closer to the engine, could i just shim the pulley or something?

i know i installed my plastic one wrong, i was in a hurry... whats the correct way to install it?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump, would like to ATLEAST know the correct way to install the pulley... even if you dont know if the c6 pulley could be shimmed to line up correctly...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In theory, you can probably shim a pulley that is not meant for the pump. But, I would highley recommend that you put the stock 50 dollar pulley to save alot of headaches... when you shim it, the pulley is not fully seating on the shaft as well.... its almost the same as not seating the pulley all the way...Any sort of misaligment will cost you later on, belt, another pulley, annoying squeek, ect.