General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car died in waterbox, and now sputters

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car died in waterbox, and now sputters

get to the track today, pay, wait in line, first run, in the water box...car immediately died after the tires started to spin (trac control was turned off). i was confused, started the car up and pulled forward...went to launch...car damn near shut off again and had a hard time even making it down the track at half throttle.
took my extremely depressing drive back home...car seems to lack in power and has a sputter when accelerated.
no engine light on. one did come on for the mass air flow a month or so ago, i cleared the light and cleaned the maf...light never came back on. the fuel filter was replaced about a year and a half ago, but that was quite a few miles ago as well. i had to replace a fuel pump in my t/a, and it went w/o warning. any chance the fuel pump is just about done? any of your guy's slowly stop working?
i honestly think there is still a chance that it is the maf b/c i was researching and other guys seemed to have a similar problem. i just find it odd that the light never came back on.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is mad at you for doing your burnout in the water box then driving a possible broken car all the way down the track.

I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressures. use masking tape to tape it to the windshield so you can chek the pressure when driving as well. That should give you a good idea if it's a fuel problem or if you need to look elsewhere.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like my MAF when I had to replace it. Sometimes it would throw a code and sometimes it wouldn't.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

unplug the MAF and drive it, if it runs good it's your MAF.