General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 WS6 Whistles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 99 WS6 Whistles?

I have a 99 WS6 that I bought with a blown engine, I decided to put it together for my mother. I stuck the engine together with stock internals, fairly small comp cam, 915 valve springs, headers, ls-6 heads and intake, and new clutch. Stuck it all together and I am very happy with the way it starts runs and idles. I noticed a whistle when I rev it up, thought it was idler pulley because it looked a little rough when I put engine in, changed pulley still there. When I rev engine up and let it drop to idle by itself it almost dies before resuming idle.

Here is the weird part, I can take the oil filler cap off, there seems to be a lot of vacuum, the engine seems to have better throttle response, does not die when I rev it up and let off suddenly and the whistle goes away. I have worked out hundred upon hundreds of cars this is my first LS build.

If I have done something stupid please tell me.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Teching In

sounds like vacuum leak
Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Teching In

It has so much crankcase vacuum I have to yank on the filler cap to remove it. Any suspect spots they usually leak. Intake is brand new, factory throttle body, and all new gaskets.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Teching In

sounds very similar to when a crankcase vent is blocked on the GTP when a fullsize intercooler is used!

We actually have to run a breather filter in our oil cap when this is done. It will whistle like crazy if you dont!

It is actually the exact opposite of a vacuum leak. Somewhere there is a vent plugged up.

EDIT: Its the PCV valve on the GTP 3.8.....Not sure about the LS1 as far as whether it has one, but Im sure someone will chime in.

Last edited by rashad; 10-25-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Teching In

They have a PCV valve, I just have been busy all week and have not had a chance to check it. I also found out my A.I.R. system is missing the diverter valve. but that should not matter on this problem. Ill check it later in the week.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Just an FYI if you plug the PVC valve where the crankcase breather hose goes, and the crank case breather hose to the vacuum for the PVC valve your car will whistle.

Looked at a friends Camaro saw that problem, hit myself on the forehead and fix it.