General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird Clunk and vibration after UMI Torque Arm relocation cross member install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Clunk and vibration after UMI Torque Arm relocation cross member install.

I kept losing the torque arm bolt on the transmission (m6) and it finally stripped out the last time it came off. I swapped in the UMI torque arm relocation crossmember and now there is a clunk when I shift gears and a weird vibration starting at about 40ish and very bad at 70. It seems like the transmission is hitting the tunnel when I shift or hit a bump.

I thought it was the U-joints so I replaced them to no avail. The only thing I can think of is that the drive shaft hit the drive shaft loop when the torque arm bolt gave way and possibly bent the drives haft. I removed the drive shaft loop thinking that the Drive shaft was hitting it, but that didnt help either.

It feels like something is out of balance in the drive train but for the life of me I cant figure out why the trans is hitting the tunnel and is making a clunk when I shift. All this started after the cross member install. Not sure if there is a connection to that or its all a result of the torque arm bouncing around....
Old 10-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Teching In

does the torque arm have an adjustable pinion angle?
Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

contact ryan @ umi he will help you out . and why do you have a bmr as your sig ?????? and buying umi .
Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lsx440
does the torque arm have an adjustable pinion angle?
Yeah I have adjusted the pinion angle to every possible degree, doesnt seem to make any difference

Originally Posted by billyb
contact ryan @ umi he will help you out . and why do you have a bmr as your sig ?????? and buying umi .
I put it in for some contest they were running and just never took it off.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a random thought... How is your trans mount?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you didn't have this clunk before your torque arm touched the driveshaft?

What is your pinion angle currently at? Any dents/marks on your driveshaft where the TA hit? The vibration noise at higher speeds definitely sounds like pinion angle problems, but could be an out of balance driveshaft maybe??
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you're stock TA with a relocation bracket? Did you order the polyurethane bushing if so? I haven't seen a picture of the relocation bracket installed, but usually TA's with rod end links will thud when the vehicle drivetrain changes in load, ie shifts.. I know that one doesn't have them, neither does the stock TA, but maybe it being an aftermarket design, there is a slight thud with it?

When I read your original post, I assumed that you ordered an aftermarket adj torque arm that had rod end links, and that this was your new noise.

Also, if youare on the stocker, how did you adjust pinion angle?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
So you're stock TA with a relocation bracket? Did you order the polyurethane bushing if so? I haven't seen a picture of the relocation bracket installed, but usually TA's with rod end links will thud when the vehicle drivetrain changes in load, ie shifts.. I know that one doesn't have them, neither does the stock TA, but maybe it being an aftermarket design, there is a slight thud with it?

When I read your original post, I assumed that you ordered an aftermarket adj torque arm that had rod end links, and that this was your new noise.

Also, if youare on the stocker, how did you adjust pinion angle?
I am using a stock style edlebrock adjustable torque arm with the Poly U bushing. Pinion angle as of right now is right at 0 degrees I believe. I tried many angles thinking that it was the problem.

There was no clunk before the torque arm bracket broke loose. It was present only after the Relocation bracket install. Both rear and front U-joints have been replaced. I am going to take the drive shaft in to see if its out of balance or bent in some fashion.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by araber89
Just a random thought... How is your trans mount?
They looked ok to me?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

I have the same crossmember and have the same clunk. I can't get rid of it either. Just something we gotta live with I guess.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeG
I have the same crossmember and have the same clunk. I can't get rid of it either. Just something we gotta live with I guess.
That's usually the nature of the beast when you change from factory mount position and/or torque arm..

You'll eventually selectively not hear it..
Old 10-31-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeG
Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
That's usually the nature of the beast when you change from factory mount position and/or torque arm..

You'll eventually selectively not hear it..
I thought about putting some spacers between the Cross Member and the mounting points.

Going back to the old cross member and torque arm mount on the tranny isnt really an option since the threads were stripped out on the mount. I could tap out I guess but I am just glad the whole tail shaft didnt go with it when the threads stripped out.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Launching!

I have same set up and I have the clunk too

Quick Reply: Weird Clunk and vibration after UMI Torque Arm relocation cross member install.