General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

security light flashing car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security light flashing car wont start

my security light is flashing replaced the ignition switch still doesnt work. any ideas
Old 10-31-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

try a different key, the resistor in the key may have failed.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

ive tried both of my keys. i guess ill go get a new one made and see if that fixes it.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

VATS Bypass is the cheapest and easiest way to solve your problem.
Check this link and scroll about 3/4 way down to find the Pass Key II Pellet Values
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html
And heres a quick easy to understand diagram of the Mod
http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
I had Security Light Issues for yrs until one day it wouldn't start for over 30 min. So I finally did the Bypass and have had NO issues since.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Teching In

when mine did this i could either hold the key on start and in about 4-5 seconds it would start or i would lift the clutch a hair and push it back in and keep trying the key
Old 11-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Teching In

+1 on the VATS bypass...had to do mine. Wasn't very difficult.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6
+1 on the VATS bypass...had to do mine. Wasn't very difficult.

+2 Yes sir that is the way to go, I have had it done for 2 years now.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Bypassing it gets you running, but what's the root cause of the problem? Is it the lock cylinder? Key?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I'm having the exact same problem. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Saturn5
Bypassing it gets you running, but what's the root cause of the problem? Is it the lock cylinder? Key?

exactly mines at Pontiac getting fixed tomarrow. i tried the bypass didnt work so i said screw it
Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Saturn5
Could be the pellet in the key or the wiring. One thing you can be sure of is it will be expensive if you take it to the stealership.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6
Could be the pellet in the key or the wiring. One thing you can be sure of is it will be expensive if you take it to the stealership.
Yep. Had mine replaced a month or so after I bought my car. ~$300 install. Not fun on my wallet.
I've never done the bypass, and don't think I'd recommend it. At least, not as a permanent fix.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

just picked it up today, clutch position sensor was bad and key cylinder. $550
Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Sorry to bump such an old topic but I'm having this same exact problem with my 02 WS6.
So far the stealership has charged me over $300 to replace the ignition cylinder and it's still doing the exact same thing.
Is the best option to just bypass the VATS module and not even worry about having the anit-theft enabled?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChadNC
Sorry to bump such an old topic but I'm having this same exact problem with my 02 WS6.
So far the stealership has charged me over $300 to replace the ignition cylinder and it's still doing the exact same thing.
Is the best option to just bypass the VATS module and not even worry about having the anit-theft enabled?
i bypassed mine. its pretty easy.

before you try it take the bottom dash cover off, there should be a connector with 2 white wires with an orange sleeve around it(key side), and a purple/white and black/white wire on the other side(pcm side). measure the resistance of the key with an ohmmeter and put the key in the ignition. then take the connector apart and measure the resistance on the key side(orange sleeve). if those numbers are not the same thats your problem. if they are the same your gonna have to look elsewhere.

if it reads "OL" than the wires have broken off. go to radio shack and get a resistor the same resistance as in your key. be sure to measure both keys, they should be within a couple % of each other. once you find the one you need go shove it in the purple/white and black/white side(pcm side) make sure it gets a good connection and turn the key and it should start. i found it works best if you push it in from the wire side of the connector, just enough to make a good connection and wrap it in electrical tape.

this will remove the VATS from the car, if someone "cracks" your ignition they can start the car as the computer will always "see" the key. if you want to make it a little more theft proof get a connector the same as the key side and install a switch or button with the resistor on it. in order for the car to start you would have to press a button, or flick a switch under the dash that only you know about.

this way if you ever feel like shelling out the 300-400 bucks to fix it you still have the original wires intact.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Teching In

the yellow connector with the yellow sleeve goes to your airbag. dont even look at that one.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

bringing this back from the dead.

My security light used to flash before I did the resistor mod. My keys all measured different resistance tho.

1- 0.681k ohms
2- 3.840k ohms
3- OL

I put a 3.900k ohm resistor in for the bypass. Which turned off my security light. I only use the key that measures 3.840k to try and start it.

When the security system stops the car from starting, does it cut the starter from cranking the motor or does it cut spark so the engine doesn't fire?

Also would I need to do some sort of relearn by leaving the key in the on position for a certain period of time to reset the security system? I saw that somewhere online.

Because right now I have no spark and can't figure out why.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autogeek23
bringing this back from the dead.

My security light used to flash before I did the resistor mod. My keys all measured different resistance tho.

1- 0.681k ohms
2- 3.840k ohms
3- OL

I put a 3.900k ohm resistor in for the bypass. Which turned off my security light. I only use the key that measures 3.840k to try and start it.

When the security system stops the car from starting, does it cut the starter from cranking the motor or does it cut spark so the engine doesn't fire?

Also would I need to do some sort of relearn by leaving the key in the on position for a certain period of time to reset the security system? I saw that somewhere online.

Because right now I have no spark and can't figure out why.
I can answer one of those....the security system is 2 fold. there is VATS and there is key/ign cylinder matching. If either are tripped, the car will not even try to turn over. no click, no crank....just lights on dash and no turning over whatsoever.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dreww
I can answer one of those....the security system is 2 fold. there is VATS and there is key/ign cylinder matching. If either are tripped, the car will not even try to turn over. no click, no crank....just lights on dash and no turning over whatsoever.
Ok then that doesn't sound like my problem because my engine turns over but doesn't fire
Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As stated vats will make the car do nothing when the key is turned. If your car is cranking but not starting try swapping the fan relay with the ignition relay to see if it is blown

Quick Reply: security light flashing car wont start