General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

not enough hp!! .. help some1

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not enough hp!! .. help some1

okay so i just bought an 01 pewter ss the slp edition.. the mods done to the car are pacesetter lts, mild comp cam.. with some head work.. not sure of the specs on it, .. and thats all it has as far as i know.. well heres the problem it feels as if im not getting the right hp out of the car, i dunno why.. when i turn the car on from a cold start, it turns off at times when i put it in revers to back up or in drive.. its an A4 btw.. even once warmed up it still turns off, .. im hopings it nothing serious just a tune.. the car itslef runs fine, no noises or tapping coming from the engine or trans... i noticed that when i floor the pedal to the carpet the throttle doesnt open all the way as if the cable that runs to the throttle body from the pedal is too long... anyone have this problem.. or can tell me more less whats wrong with the car.. the car shoots a maf sensor code and i replaced it with another i had laying around but it still throws the code P0101 or something like that... any input will be greatlyt appreciated im worried about my baby
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 AM

maybe a bad eng sensor?? its just a 20 amp fuse right?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tune, too big of a cam, no coverter?, MAF could definetly be it, could be wiring issue or plug issue.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

what size converter do you have in there? no tune?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Might be your idle air control.....or maybe the idle rpm is too low due to a tune....could be other things too....

as for the throttle not opening....same problem on mine....just adjust your throttle cable if you have traction control.....there are two cables running above and just to the left of your intake....adjust the one that goes to your throttle body. Take off your air intake and adjust the cable to where it can't be pulled anymore without opening the throttle plate.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM

its driving me crazy!!.. im wondering it could be a bad computer .. my check engine light isnt working it isnt the bulb or anything.. i checked the bulb and everything restarted and the engine light turned on but as soon as i crank the key it turns off and wont turn on anymore..
Old 11-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ss1275
i noticed that when i floor the pedal to the carpet the throttle doesnt open all the way as if the cable that runs to the throttle body from the pedal is too long...
This is almost certainly why you aren't feeling enough horsepower. I had that problem with my Camaro because the previous owner put in a Firebird engine, which came with a different TB. I put back the original TB and the cable was the perfect length.

If your TB isn't stock, you'll need to adjust your cable. If you've got cruise control, there's probably a second cable that will also need to be adjusted. Both should have about 1/4 inch slack or less when the gas pedal is all the way up and the CC is off.

As for your MAF problems, this could also be caused by a non-stock TB. I had a MAF code with that Firebird TB in because it used a different MAF sensor. Any time you've got mods to those things, the computer needs to be told what to look for. Make sure that the ECM/PCM is programmed for your specific hardware.

It's entirely possible that all of your problems (except the TB cables) are in the computer. It probably doesn't need to be replaced, just reprogrammed.